Mar 6, 2013, 8:21 PM EST
If this were a game in December, or if the Lakers were not in need of every win they can get to make it into the playoffs, then there is a good chance that at least one if not more of the trio of Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Metta World Peace would sit out Wednesday night in New Orleans.
But instead, all three suited up and started for the Lakers against the Hornets in the second night of a back-to-back.
Kobe had a nerve in his elbow aggravated, one that clearly bothered him during the game against the Thunder on Tuesday. But he’s Kobe, as close as any human comes to being a Terminator-style cyborg, and you knew he wasn’t going to sit this one out. He was even tweeting about it.
"Rule number 76. No excuses. Play like a champion" Vince Vaughn. Wedding Crashers.—
Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) March 06, 2013
Howard’s shoulder, which has a partially torn labrum that he is playing through, bothered him all through the Thunder game after he and Metta World Peace collided Tuesday night. While he may not be Kobe, Howard has played through a lot of pain this year (not always well, but he played) and he was out there.
World Peace had a mild ankle sprain in the final minutes of the Lakers loss to the Thunder, but he is playing through it as well.
We’ll see if this impacts them against the Hornets or in any games after. But the Lakers can’t afford any more off nights this season.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 0
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 22
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 51
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)