Mar 5, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
The Denver Nuggets score more points in the paint than any team in the NBA, which is a good thing for them. But it is born in part out of necessity — they are the NBA’s worst shooting team from 16 feet out to the three-point line (32.4 percent) and the league’s third-worst shooting three point shooting team (33.8 percent).
How much more dangerous would Denver be if on the fast break they had someone running to the arc you had to fear?
Someone like, say, free agent to be Kyle Korver. Who is shooting 46.2 percent from three this season. Which is exactly why the Nuggets have put on the top of their off-season wish list, reports the Denver Post.
Korver, an unrestricted free agent in his 10th year in the NBA, is expected to be one of the Nuggets top targets in the offseason as the team actively courts players who can fill that shooting void. Denver won’t be the only team looking to gain his services, but if the money is right (Korver makes $5 million this season) the situation might be hard for the sharpshooter, who grew up in Pella, Iowa, to turn down.
Shots figure to be much easier to come by in a system where guard Ty Lawson’s driving is so respected that he sucks defenders into the lane, and other players capable of hitting from long range – Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Corey Brewer – make it so that he would be difficult to devote additional resources to slowing just Korver down in the manner that the Nuggets are expected to try tonight.
The Nuggets have guys you should fear from three — Gallinari and Lawson both shoot better than 35 percent — but they lack a classic sharpshooter like Korver. The Nuggets may or may not land him, but their free agent shopping list should have a lot of pure shooters on it.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 0
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 18
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 9
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10