Mar 5, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
When the news was released today that Serge Ibaka would be fined $25,000 for his below-the-belt hit on Blake Griffin during the Thunder’s win over the Clippers on Sunday, it wasn’t a shock that a suspension wasn’t handed down, but it was a bit of a surprise.
The league hasn’t been afraid to retroactively drop the hammer after officials during a game came down lightly on a particular offense, as they did in the case of the elbow Metta World Peace landed to the head of Kenneth Faried.
Groin shots are groin shots, at least in the eyes of Wade and LeBron James. Neither could believe that Ibaka’s penalty wasn’t harsher, and they each voiced their respective opinions to the millions following them on Twitter.
So explain to me the difference? My teammate gets a 1 game suspension and 150k+ taking away from him for his groin altercation #strangetome
— LeBron James (@KingJames) March 5, 2013
All I can say is WoW….no pun intended but really….and I get suspended and lose 200 grand… #someexplainingtodo
— Way of WADE (@DwyaneWade) March 5, 2013
The confusion is the league’s fault to a certain extent, because public explanations of the reasoning behind these decisions are not readily available, and are rarely published.
In the age where players have direct access to give their opinions on the news of the day via social media, there’s going to be plenty more reactions like this unless explanations are given as to the reason why one play is a suspension, when another very similar play is only worthy of a relatively insignificant fine.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 6
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22