Mar 5, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Barea’s foul on Allen was downgraded from a flagrant 2 to a flagrant 1 by the league — that means there will be no fine or suspension for the play. Barea was ejected for the hit above after it was reviewed by referees, if they had ruled it a flagrant 1 he would have been allowed to stay in the game.
If you’re wondering, here is how the league defines these fouls:
Flagrant 1 — unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession.
Flagrant 2 — unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.
I don’t really have a problem with this move by the league — Berea clearly fouled hard but there doesn’t seem to be an intent to injure here.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17