Mar 5, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Barea’s foul on Allen was downgraded from a flagrant 2 to a flagrant 1 by the league — that means there will be no fine or suspension for the play. Barea was ejected for the hit above after it was reviewed by referees, if they had ruled it a flagrant 1 he would have been allowed to stay in the game.
If you’re wondering, here is how the league defines these fouls:
Flagrant 1 — unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession.
Flagrant 2 — unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.
I don’t really have a problem with this move by the league — Berea clearly fouled hard but there doesn’t seem to be an intent to injure here.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15