Mar 5, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Barea’s foul on Allen was downgraded from a flagrant 2 to a flagrant 1 by the league — that means there will be no fine or suspension for the play. Barea was ejected for the hit above after it was reviewed by referees, if they had ruled it a flagrant 1 he would have been allowed to stay in the game.
If you’re wondering, here is how the league defines these fouls:
Flagrant 1 — unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession.
Flagrant 2 — unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.
I don’t really have a problem with this move by the league — Berea clearly fouled hard but there doesn’t seem to be an intent to injure here.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61