Mar 5, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Barea’s foul on Allen was downgraded from a flagrant 2 to a flagrant 1 by the league — that means there will be no fine or suspension for the play. Barea was ejected for the hit above after it was reviewed by referees, if they had ruled it a flagrant 1 he would have been allowed to stay in the game.
If you’re wondering, here is how the league defines these fouls:
Flagrant 1 — unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession.
Flagrant 2 — unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.
I don’t really have a problem with this move by the league — Berea clearly fouled hard but there doesn’t seem to be an intent to injure here.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 15
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 40
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19