Mar 5, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Michael Jordan wisely did not comment last week when a story leaked about a woman suing Michael Jordan in a paternity lawsuit for her 16-year-old son saying Jordan was the father.
But you knew Jordan’s lawyers would not stay quiet for long — and they fired back with what may well be a winning shot.
Then have filed asking the judge in the case to dismiss the charges because the woman already admitted her ex-husband is the father in other court documents, reports the Associated Press.
Jordan’s lawyer John Mayoue said in a document filed in Fulton County Superior Court that the six-time NBA champion is not the father of Pamela Y. Smith’s 16-year-old son. The paternity of the teen was “conclusively established” in divorce filings between Smith and her ex-husband, Jordan’s attorney wrote.
Jordan, 50, is the majority owner of the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats. His spokeswoman Estee Portnoy released a statement to The Associated Press.
“Public records show that the paternity of the child was established in a prior case in this same court many years ago and that Michael Jordan is not the father. He also filed a counterclaim seeking sanctions for the false claims made against him. It is unfortunate that well-known figures are the target of these kind of claims. Michael Jordan will vigorously defend himself and his reputation.”
Hopefully this will be the end of us having to talk about Jordan’s sex life. I have no idea what really happened 17 years ago between Jordan and Smith, but if she has really said in previous court documents that her ex is the father this case is over and she has had her 15 minutes. Let’s all move on to the important issues before Jordan, such as Bobcats vs. Hornets.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 3
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 33
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?