J.J. Barea ejected after shove, altercation with Ray Allen (VIDEO)

Mar 5, 2013, 1:21 AM EDT

Minnesota’s J.J. Barea was ejected from his team’s loss to the Heat Monday night when he essentially ran up and checked Ray Allen to the ground. Which it turns out is illegal in basketball (for those of you, fans and media alike, who struggle with the differences between hockey and basketball).

The play started with Ray Allen trying to create some space for himself out high and pushing the smaller Barea back. My first impression is Barea (who  has been fined by the NBA for flopping this season) was trying to sell that a little with his reaction. But he apparently took offense and charged Allen and knocked him to the ground. The foul was called, Allen popped back up ready to go and words were exchanged. Notice that Chris Andersen is the first person in as the peacemaker, just as you would expect.

The referees gave Barea a flagrant two foul, which means they saw it as “unnecessary and excessive,” and that foul means automatic ejection. After reviewing the play, the call stood. Barea said after the game Ray Allen was overreacting, according to the Star-Tribune.

“I’ve been playing in the NBA seven years,” Barea said. “I get hit harder than that every night. I don’t get up crying, I don’t want to fight. Bynum almost knocked me out for the rest of my life. I didn’t get up crying. It was just a little bump, it’s part of the game. Don’t be like that.”

Unless the league comes in and changes the call to a flagrant one — which seems unlikely after watching the play — it will mean at least a one game suspension for Barea.

1. timb12 - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Ray Allen was really going to throw down too…..or maybe he wasn’t.

• nbascreed - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

You’re a meatball and show why commenters on this board really don’t know anything. Ray’s “nice guy” persona has NOTHING at all to do with whether or not he can scrap. You guys’ are always fooled by tatoos and tough talking, which just means that you really have never been around a tough guy.

ktgotgame.com

• riders008 - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I guess u must be the toughest guy ever……I mean don’t tough guys talk behind fake screen names on the Internet…….I would not mess with you

• thesixersbench - Mar 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Appropriate.

2. pantsfreezone - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM

JJ Barea flops 22 times a night and when the refs stop giving him his cheapies he gets all incensed. He’s a punk but he didn’t deserve to be tossed. He’s also a terrible NBA player and I feel bad that the T’Wolves have to rely on such garbage due to injury and KAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNN.

3. asublimeday - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Eh, it’s the heat. Expect soft play.

4. eventhorizon04 - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I thought the flagrant-2 was a little excessive considering he didn’t make any contact to Ray Allen’s head or neck. It probably merited a flagrant-1 call since he body-checked Allen and made no attempt to go for the ball, but the automatic ejection was a little overboard.

But regardless, he lost his cool and that cost his team.

• captainwisdom88 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:01 AM

i agree. its a tit for tat moment really. ray extended his arms backwards and hit barea first. YES, barea came in too hard, but if u look closely he didnt blatantly shove him as much as he just gave him some body

what made it look worse was the timing where ray was light on his feet, barea easily got underneath his center of gravity and it bowled ray over

i dont think the league should fine or suspend barea

5. eventhorizon04 - Mar 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Also – Barea said. “I don’t get up crying, I don’t want to fight. Bynum almost knocked me out for the rest of my life. I didn’t get up crying. It was just a little bump, it’s part of the game.”

If I recall correctly, after Bynum cheap-shotted Barrea, Barrea was down on the ground for awhile in pain.

So while he’s technically correct saying that he didn’t get up crying after the hit, more truthfully, it took him awhile to get up at all. And it’s not surprising that he didn’t feel like fighting Andrew Bynum, who weighs a solid 100 lbs more than him.

• money2long - Mar 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

maybe he was trying to sell it.

6. BigBeachBall - Mar 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM

score one for the ankle biters….

• badintent - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM

One tried to lowbridge me, so the next time down the court I slammed my knee into his flat nose. Can you make a flat nose even flatter ? I think so.

• BigBeachBall - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

next time just step on them, then during timeouts… scrape them off the bottom of my shoe….

7. tommyshih - Mar 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Helin is a moron yet again. First, committed a borderline offensive foul, throwing a forearm at Barea’s neck area. There was contact, but not a lot. So Barea, moves with him and puts his chest into Allen like every other player does in that situation. The difference being that Allen was hit while in the air and so he went flying. No other way Barea sends Allen flying like that unless Allen flopped. I think it was just the timing of it that made is look worse than it really was. That and Ray getting up and pretending he was ready to throw down. The other thing Helin got wrong, is that the foul was first called a flagrant 1. Then they went and reviewed it and changed it to a flagrant 2, which is what set Adelman off and got him the tech. Seriously, if you’re going to just phone in a story at least watch the actual tape rather than the highlight. This the start of a series of questionable to very bad calls that turned a 3 point deficit for the wolves to a 15 point one.

• thesixersbench - Mar 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Boom.

8. dko83 - Mar 5, 2013 at 4:51 AM

What an absolute joke of a call.

9. 69jaredallen69 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Ed Malloy at his finest…wonder if he had the Heat and the points as he had a nice little hero run to blow the game open. This clown is fast approaching Joey Crawford level. NBA officiating is a joke

10. 69jaredallen69 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Ed Malloy is a joke of an official…looks like he took the Heat and the points as he had a nice little hero run to blow the game open. When your approaching Joey Crawford level you know the quality of officiating is deteriorating…not saying much when it is already the worst of the major 4 sports

• convincedofthehex - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

NBA officials are horrible, as are basketball refs at every level, rec ball, middle and high school, and college. However, try watching an NHL game, they make the NBA look competent.

11. chicagokillinois2013 - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I didn’t see the foul so I can’t say it was a bad call or not but Barea better cool that tough guy act out before he mess around and catches a beatdown

12. chicagokillinois2013 - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Barea is a joke

13. rodge1 - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM

@69jaredallen69

Good observation, because the Heat really need help from the refs to beat the perennial powerhouse that is the T-wolves.

• guyaneserj - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

EXACTLY…I mean really? To beat the TWolves?

14. 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Why are Wolves fans mad? Barrea was 1 for 11 in 22 minutes of play. Refs did you a favor by licking him out.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Kicking. Sorry. But licking was funnier

• guyaneserj - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

LOL

15. chicagokillinois2013 - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Barea is a punk I remember when Kevin Love almost took his head off

16. starship7 - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM

What a absolute joke of a player, thy name is JJ Barea.

• dangernearing - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Dont you remember when stole the heats heart in finals. He’s a player dont hate.

• acdc363 - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Don’t you remember when people said Lebron wasn’t clutch?

Yeah me neither.

17. acieu - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM

When I read licking I thought this was an article on the WNBA.

• guyaneserj - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

LOL

18. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I agree with the poster above about a couple things. Get the facts right, Kurt!!! The original call was a flagrant-1, which I thought was kinda harsh, but OK. Allen fell and sold it as some huge hit from a small guy. Whatever. Good for you Ray Ray.

Then, they go to the review and change it to a flagrant-2 and eject Barea! What??? Seriously? This is the biggest problem with the NBA anymore. They are becoming a wussy league.

I’m not a fan of either of these teams…just an NBA fan. Watching this happen in real time, I thought at best it was a good hard foul. Then when I saw wussy Ray Ray’s reaction, I figured they would give Barea a “T” to keep control of the game. When I saw a flagrant-1, it was dumb, but OK whatever. Then to watch the tape, and not look at Ray Ray’s serious overreaction to a slight bump, and upgrade the foul to a flagrant-2 was just insane.

19. magicbucs - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Ray Allen is a mommas boy. I’m surprised rays mom didn’t run onto the court to protect her female of a son…..

• dangernearing - Mar 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM

WTF is this? You hate your mom, i guess.

20. rodge1 - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM

dangernearing says:

___________________

That was almost 2 years ago. It’s probably about time to move on, a lot has happened since then.

21. 69jaredallen69 - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Rodge1: Wolves had the momentum at the time and had cut it to 6,..Malloy single handedly made it a 12point game with flagrant, T of Adelman and back to back offensive fouls that took 5 points off the board. Heat are better team but at least call the game fair,

• miamatt - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

You can argue that Barea might have gotten off with a flagrant 1, but the offensive fouls were totally legit, and I’m sure Addelman got his money’s worth as well. Sorry, but the Wolves as a team lost their composure, and that’s the biggest reason they got blown out at home.

22. chicagokillinois2013 - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Barea has little man’s syndrome

23. fincity305 - Mar 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Bush league for mini me

24. 24thesho - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I just saw that “shove” made by Allen on Barea on YouTube; he (Barea) was trying to flop and then he calls Ray Allen a
    p- – – y afterwards? Really? With that b- – -ch assed flop attempt? Really? I mean, really? I think the p – – – y threw itself at Allen. But, wait,… doesn’t that happen after the games most nights? Uhh…, I mean……, I jus sayin’…..

25. readysethike - Mar 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

u could also note wade was actually there before birdman to play peacemaker

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches