Mar 5, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Last year Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glenn Taylor said he was looking to sell the franchise — but he wasn’t going to sell it to just anyone. He wanted an investor or group of investors who were committed to keeping the team in Minnesota. Sort of the anti-Maloofs.
Apparently there is a group stepping forward, and they have former Minnesota coach Flip Saunders as their front man (and the guy who would take over running the basketball side of the business).
Taylor confirmed on Monday night that he has had conversations with the former coach, who approached Taylor at the behest of a group of prospective buyers. The identities of the investors were not immediately known. But if they are successful in purchasing the team, Saunders would be expected to take over as the leader of basketball operations….
Sports talk radio station KFXN-FM first reported the talks, but a deal is far from imminent. Taylor has been looking for a successor to buy in as a minority partner, with the plan to take over as majority owner in a few years, when Taylor is ready to relinquish control. After watching a season that started with playoff aspirations swirl down the drain thanks to a litany of injuries, Taylor isn’t in any hurry to make a deal.
Again, this is how you sell your small market franchise if you care about the city. Sorry Sacramento.
We’ll be watching this develop but it could be years in happening. David Stern himself said at All-Star weekend Taylor is not eager to sell. Long term, Saunders coming in might not be good news for GM David Kahn, but to his credit (and despite his missteps) he has built a team that, when healthy, should be an up-and-coming playoff team in the West. Hopefully we get to see those Timberwolves next season.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 27
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25