Mar 5, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Last year Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glenn Taylor said he was looking to sell the franchise — but he wasn’t going to sell it to just anyone. He wanted an investor or group of investors who were committed to keeping the team in Minnesota. Sort of the anti-Maloofs.
Apparently there is a group stepping forward, and they have former Minnesota coach Flip Saunders as their front man (and the guy who would take over running the basketball side of the business).
Taylor confirmed on Monday night that he has had conversations with the former coach, who approached Taylor at the behest of a group of prospective buyers. The identities of the investors were not immediately known. But if they are successful in purchasing the team, Saunders would be expected to take over as the leader of basketball operations….
Sports talk radio station KFXN-FM first reported the talks, but a deal is far from imminent. Taylor has been looking for a successor to buy in as a minority partner, with the plan to take over as majority owner in a few years, when Taylor is ready to relinquish control. After watching a season that started with playoff aspirations swirl down the drain thanks to a litany of injuries, Taylor isn’t in any hurry to make a deal.
Again, this is how you sell your small market franchise if you care about the city. Sorry Sacramento.
We’ll be watching this develop but it could be years in happening. David Stern himself said at All-Star weekend Taylor is not eager to sell. Long term, Saunders coming in might not be good news for GM David Kahn, but to his credit (and despite his missteps) he has built a team that, when healthy, should be an up-and-coming playoff team in the West. Hopefully we get to see those Timberwolves next season.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 9
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 7
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 37
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10