Mar 4, 2013, 4:06 AM EDT
Some very familiar names on top of the three stars list to NBA fans tonight. Sorry to overlook Chandler Parsons dropping 32 out of the blue, or Carmelo Anthony getting 32 in a losing cause, or David West putting up an impressive 31 against the Bulls defense. But these guys had big games and sparked key wins.
Third Star: Russell Westbrook (29 points, 10 assists, 6 rebounds)
After Serge Ibaka punched Blake Griffin in the nuts (I still don’t see how Ibaka stayed in the game after that) and the Clippers got a seven-point play to take the lead with less than 2 minutes to go. That’s when Westbrook took over. He broke down the Clippers defense for a lay-up. He set up Serge Ibaka for the and-1. He knocked down the baseline jumper. He made sure his team won.
Second Star: LeBron James (29 points, 11 assists, 7 rebounds)
After a pretty quiet first half, LeBron put up a dozen in the fourth quarter to lead the Heat to a hard-fought win. (This on the heels of dropping 16 in the fourth quarter against the Grizzlies last Heat game.) More than just put up points LeBron does it all (5 rebounds 3 assists in fourth quarter). LeBron looked like the MVP on the big stage. In the last month he has made that award his again.
First Star: Kobe Bryant (34 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists)
The Lakers are back to .500 for the first time since just after Christmas and you can thank Kobe for that, as he played another game where he was key down the stretch with 11 in the final frame. That included a great play on the game-winning layup where he blew past Al Horford, got to the lane before Josh Smith could fully rotate, Kobe took the contact and made the play, Kobe has played with a desperate passion the past few weeks as he has led the Lakers back into the playoff hunt. This game was another example of that.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 18
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 45
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23