Mar 4, 2013, 4:06 AM EST
Some very familiar names on top of the three stars list to NBA fans tonight. Sorry to overlook Chandler Parsons dropping 32 out of the blue, or Carmelo Anthony getting 32 in a losing cause, or David West putting up an impressive 31 against the Bulls defense. But these guys had big games and sparked key wins.
Third Star: Russell Westbrook (29 points, 10 assists, 6 rebounds)
After Serge Ibaka punched Blake Griffin in the nuts (I still don’t see how Ibaka stayed in the game after that) and the Clippers got a seven-point play to take the lead with less than 2 minutes to go. That’s when Westbrook took over. He broke down the Clippers defense for a lay-up. He set up Serge Ibaka for the and-1. He knocked down the baseline jumper. He made sure his team won.
Second Star: LeBron James (29 points, 11 assists, 7 rebounds)
After a pretty quiet first half, LeBron put up a dozen in the fourth quarter to lead the Heat to a hard-fought win. (This on the heels of dropping 16 in the fourth quarter against the Grizzlies last Heat game.) More than just put up points LeBron does it all (5 rebounds 3 assists in fourth quarter). LeBron looked like the MVP on the big stage. In the last month he has made that award his again.
First Star: Kobe Bryant (34 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists)
The Lakers are back to .500 for the first time since just after Christmas and you can thank Kobe for that, as he played another game where he was key down the stretch with 11 in the final frame. That included a great play on the game-winning layup where he blew past Al Horford, got to the lane before Josh Smith could fully rotate, Kobe took the contact and made the play, Kobe has played with a desperate passion the past few weeks as he has led the Lakers back into the playoff hunt. This game was another example of that.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28