Mar 4, 2013, 6:47 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like the guys at MIT like beer. Because all guys like beer.
• Last weekend was the SLOAN Sports Analytics event at MIT, which is the annual gathering of sports numbers guys (and girls, 3,000 people total), where they get together and talk about advances in analytics. There is a lot of great stuff from there, but maybe my favorite post is from Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie, saying that the biggest challenge remains not convincing people that there is value in the number but how to get those numbers to decision makers and players (and fans) in a way they can be digested and used.
• Devine also wrote about the advanced optical player tracking software and how that is leading us to ask better questions, even if we don’t have the answers yet.
• Our friend Rob Mahoney of Sports Illustrated wrote about advanced stats at SLOAN and process.
• Also from SLAON, Zach Lowe of Grantland interviews Rockets GM Daryl Morey.
• By the way, 29 of the 30 NBA teams were represented at SLOAN. Who wasn’t there? The Los Angeles Lakers.
• Ben McLemore of Kansas could be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, he is certainly going high (DraftExpress has him No. 2). If you want to get to know him, here is a fantastic profile. He has not had an easy life.
• Could Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson be the guy that replaces Billy Hunter at the NBA players union?
• Russell Westbrook is on the cover of fashion magazine Flaunt Magazine this month. If you know about Flaunt Magazine then you know more about fashion than I do. (Not that the bar is set very high there.)
• The Bucks’ Monta Ellis and the Nuggets’ Ty Lawson are your Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week. Ellis averaged 24 point, 9.0 assists and 5 steals a game. Lawson averaged 21 points and 7 assists a game, plus had the game winner over the Thunder.
• We always link to interviews with God Shammgod.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46