Mar 4, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like the guys at MIT like beer. Because all guys like beer.
• Last weekend was the SLOAN Sports Analytics event at MIT, which is the annual gathering of sports numbers guys (and girls, 3,000 people total), where they get together and talk about advances in analytics. There is a lot of great stuff from there, but maybe my favorite post is from Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie, saying that the biggest challenge remains not convincing people that there is value in the number but how to get those numbers to decision makers and players (and fans) in a way they can be digested and used.
• Devine also wrote about the advanced optical player tracking software and how that is leading us to ask better questions, even if we don’t have the answers yet.
• Our friend Rob Mahoney of Sports Illustrated wrote about advanced stats at SLOAN and process.
• Also from SLAON, Zach Lowe of Grantland interviews Rockets GM Daryl Morey.
• By the way, 29 of the 30 NBA teams were represented at SLOAN. Who wasn’t there? The Los Angeles Lakers.
• Ben McLemore of Kansas could be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, he is certainly going high (DraftExpress has him No. 2). If you want to get to know him, here is a fantastic profile. He has not had an easy life.
• Could Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson be the guy that replaces Billy Hunter at the NBA players union?
• Russell Westbrook is on the cover of fashion magazine Flaunt Magazine this month. If you know about Flaunt Magazine then you know more about fashion than I do. (Not that the bar is set very high there.)
• The Bucks’ Monta Ellis and the Nuggets’ Ty Lawson are your Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week. Ellis averaged 24 point, 9.0 assists and 5 steals a game. Lawson averaged 21 points and 7 assists a game, plus had the game winner over the Thunder.
• We always link to interviews with God Shammgod.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 5
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7