LeBron did tweak his knee Sunday, expects to play Monday

Mar 4, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

It was just one of those plays — LeBron James was going up for the alley-oop and the Knicks J.R. Smith was playing free safety, watching the ball and going up to swat the play away. They collided and LeBron came down awkwardly on his left leg.

He instantly started to grab for his knee. Thought better of it, stayed down for a second and them walked it off. Actually, more than walked it off he dropped 11 in the fourth quarter to help the Heat beat the Knicks.

Still, any hint of an injury to the best player in the game makes Heat fans nervous. LeBron told ESPN’s Heat Index that he would have it looked at by team doctors but expected to play Monday night against Minnesota.

“I was concerned,” James told the Miami Herald. “I’m still concerned a little bit….

“I was able to finish the game strong but things are always a little worse the next day,” James said. “We’ve got to fly to Minnesota, but I believe I’ll be in the lineup [Monday], though.”

LeBron may play Monday but whether he wants it or not look for coach Erik Spoelstra to get him some nights off the last couple months of the season. Some physical and more important mental rest before the playoffs. The Heat have a comfortable 6.5 game lead in the Eastern Conference now, the question is how hard will they push to catch the banged-up Spurs for the best overall record (Miami is currently two games back). Health and rest matter more — Oklahoma had home court in the finals last year, it didn’t matter.

1. southbeachtalent - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Rest him!!

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I’d consider flying to Minnesota and standing in front of him Tienneman Square-Style if it meant LeBron would take the night off.

2. WatchThis - Mar 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Would he take a million $ to his charity to take a couple games off??

3. cantonbound13 - Mar 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Nothing an extra dose of PEDs won’t cure

• thenmoveback - Mar 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If only there was a drug to cure your stupidity.

• cantonbound13 - Mar 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

This coming from a moron that calls me a bandwagon fan for liking the Dolphins, a team that hasn’t won anything in my lifetime! it’s useless arguing with a moron like you that doesn’t understand the English language. You might want to look into getting that GED.

• thenmoveback - Mar 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Get off the drugs bro

• thenmoveback - Mar 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

And the Dolphins were DAMN good in the 70s 80s and 90s. In guessing u jumped on the wagon then and left the jets in NY with your brain.

• cantonbound13 - Mar 5, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Wouldn’t I be a Giants fan if I was a bandwagon fan? They have won 3 Superbowls in my lifetime & have been much more successful than the Dolphins. You clearly don’t understand what bandwagon means. Your stupidity continues to amaze me. You bore me & you’re not worth my time & energy any more. Enjoy watching the Heat from your trailer.

• thenmoveback - Mar 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Your absolutely ridiculous. You can never complete a conservation with knowledge or facts all you can do to justify your points is try to insult ppl. Your comments are as soft as Carmelo Anthony.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

He sure rebounded easily. And let’s not forget that this was one of the BS calls (play on, JR had every right to the ball that James did).

• thenmoveback - Mar 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Stop worrying about Bosh, the Heats third best player and start worrying about a healthy Wade and the MVP. Unstoppable!

4. kb2408 - Mar 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

LeBron “claims” he tweaked his knee, then drops forty tonight. Hasn’t he gotten enough publicity lately? Evidently he hasn’t!

5. dacapt704 - Mar 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Machines don’t feel pain

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches