Mar 4, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
Irving injured his knee in practice and tried to play through it, but it was clear he wasn’t himself when Jrue Holiday just dominated him in a meeting (nothing against Holiday, who is good, but he shouldn’t dominate this matchup like this) the Cavs decided to sit Irving for a stretch.
“I landed awkwardly,’ said Irving, explaining the injury for the first time since it happened. “It was just a deep bruise. When I was playing in Orlando and Miami I could feel it, and obviously I was just trying to play through it but it was really limiting to my ability to go to the basket and jumping off my right leg.”
Irving is averaging 23.3 points and 5.6 assists a game. He is the anchor to a young Cavs team that feels good about itself.
Dion Waiters stepped up his playmaking in those games, he had better than six assists a game, but he is not Irving. However, Waiters is out against the Knicks due to an illness.
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 0
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 42
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 17
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29