Mar 4, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
Irving injured his knee in practice and tried to play through it, but it was clear he wasn’t himself when Jrue Holiday just dominated him in a meeting (nothing against Holiday, who is good, but he shouldn’t dominate this matchup like this) the Cavs decided to sit Irving for a stretch.
“I landed awkwardly,’ said Irving, explaining the injury for the first time since it happened. “It was just a deep bruise. When I was playing in Orlando and Miami I could feel it, and obviously I was just trying to play through it but it was really limiting to my ability to go to the basket and jumping off my right leg.”
Irving is averaging 23.3 points and 5.6 assists a game. He is the anchor to a young Cavs team that feels good about itself.
Dion Waiters stepped up his playmaking in those games, he had better than six assists a game, but he is not Irving. However, Waiters is out against the Knicks due to an illness.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11