Mar 4, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
Irving injured his knee in practice and tried to play through it, but it was clear he wasn’t himself when Jrue Holiday just dominated him in a meeting (nothing against Holiday, who is good, but he shouldn’t dominate this matchup like this) the Cavs decided to sit Irving for a stretch.
“I landed awkwardly,’ said Irving, explaining the injury for the first time since it happened. “It was just a deep bruise. When I was playing in Orlando and Miami I could feel it, and obviously I was just trying to play through it but it was really limiting to my ability to go to the basket and jumping off my right leg.”
Irving is averaging 23.3 points and 5.6 assists a game. He is the anchor to a young Cavs team that feels good about itself.
Dion Waiters stepped up his playmaking in those games, he had better than six assists a game, but he is not Irving. However, Waiters is out against the Knicks due to an illness.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61