Mar 4, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Irving injured his knee in practice and tried to play through it, but it was clear he wasn’t himself when Jrue Holiday just dominated him in a meeting (nothing against Holiday, who is good, but he shouldn’t dominate this matchup like this) the Cavs decided to sit Irving for a stretch.
“I landed awkwardly,’ said Irving, explaining the injury for the first time since it happened. “It was just a deep bruise. When I was playing in Orlando and Miami I could feel it, and obviously I was just trying to play through it but it was really limiting to my ability to go to the basket and jumping off my right leg.”
Irving is averaging 23.3 points and 5.6 assists a game. He is the anchor to a young Cavs team that feels good about itself.
Dion Waiters stepped up his playmaking in those games, he had better than six assists a game, but he is not Irving. However, Waiters is out against the Knicks due to an illness.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10