Serge Ibaka hits Blake Griffin in the groin, and is somehow not ejected in Thunder’s win over Clippers (VIDEO)
Mar 3, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
With under two minutes remaining in a tight game between the Thunder and the Clippers, Serge Ibaka chopped down with his right arm and struck Blake griffin in the groin, causing Griffin to crumble to the floor.
There’s no doubt the act was intentional on Ibaka’s part, but the referees didn’t see it as an actual punch, only ruling it as a flagrant-one which meant that Ibaka was allowed to remain in the game.
Ibaka went on to draw Griffin’s sixth foul by converting a three-point play a few possessions later, meaning Griffin had fouled out and was done, while Ibaka got to stay in and contribute to his team’s victory during the game’s most meaningful possessions.
It’s possible that Ibaka’s intention was to chop away Griffin’s arm that was keeping him out of position, and it’s even likely that Ibaka wasn’t intending to catch Griffin where he did with that shot. But it landed nonetheless, and the referees should have ejected him for it.
We’ll see if the league reviews the play and determines it was more deserving of punishment than the referees did on the spot.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 4
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record