Mar 2, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
It looked bad when it happened and the word from Marc Spears at Yahoo is not good.
Spurs say guard Tony Parker is expected to be out for approximately four weeks with a Grade 2 left ankle sprain.—
Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) March 02, 2013
What a Grade 2 sprain means is there is partial tearing of the ligament. Treatment means immobilization and ice followed by a lot of physical therapy.
A return in exactly one month on April 1 would mean Parker would be back for the final nine games of the regular season heading into the playoffs.
In the case of the Spurs, it’s about Parker — playing the best ball of his career and leading the Spurs top 5 offense — back and fully recovered for the playoffs. The regular season, even if they surrender the top seed to Oklahoma City (and they could fall behind the three seed Clippers, who are 3.5 games back as of Saturday morning), it doesn’t matter nearly as much as being healthy and rested when the games get serious. Parker will get his rest now and his legs should be fresh, but the Spurs can’t have this really linger into the postseason.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (67)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'