Mar 1, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Michael Jordan is the target of a Georgia paternity lawsuit claiming he is the father of a 16-year-old boy.
The suit, filed Feb. 6 by Pamela Smith, seeks child support, medical expenses and asks the judge to change the now 16-year-old son’s last name to Jordan. Smith says in the suit she welcomes a paternity test, reports TMZ, which broke the story.
Smith says in the suit she had sex with Jordan in 1995 and in June 1996 gave birth to Grant Pierce Jay Jordan Reynolds. Said boy has done a YouTube video saying Jordan is his father. His mother has pictures of herself and Jordan at a public event (which in and of itself proves nothing).
Jordan’s publicist had no comment for the Associated Press. Smith apparently does not have an attorney, the AP reports.
I’m not even going to guess about what is the truth here. There are no shortage of professional athletes with a string of children left in their wake. But there have been cases in the past where the woman was simply seeking money and went after the deep pockets of an athlete, even if they were not the father. It is possible Jordan is the dad. It is possible the woman threatened a public lawsuit if Jordan didn’t cough up cash and he stood his ground. I have no idea, I don’t care about Jordan’s sex life. I’m just a conduit of information in this case.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29