Michael Jordan target of paternity lawsuit

Mar 1, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT

Michael Jordan AP

Michael Jordan is the target of a Georgia paternity lawsuit claiming he is the father of a 16-year-old boy.

The suit, filed Feb. 6 by Pamela Smith, seeks child support, medical expenses and asks the judge to change the now 16-year-old son’s last name to Jordan. Smith says in the suit she welcomes a paternity test, reports TMZ, which broke the story.

Smith says in the suit she had sex with Jordan in 1995 and in June 1996 gave birth to Grant Pierce Jay Jordan Reynolds. Said boy has done a YouTube video saying Jordan is his father. His mother has pictures of herself and Jordan at a public event (which in and of itself proves nothing).

Jordan’s publicist had no comment for the Associated Press. Smith apparently does not have an attorney, the AP reports.

I’m not even going to guess about what is the truth here. There are no shortage of professional athletes with a string of children left in their wake. But there have been cases in the past where the woman was simply seeking money and went after the deep pockets of an athlete, even if they were not the father. It is possible Jordan is the dad. It is possible the woman threatened a public lawsuit if Jordan didn’t cough up cash and he stood his ground. I have no idea, I don’t care about Jordan’s sex life. I’m just a conduit of information in this case.

1. tombstone7 - Mar 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM

This story like all others does not affect me and my life……keep it moving people…stay in your lanes!
    Where is the real journalism?

2. davidly - Mar 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I know it’s out-of-line for me to speculate, but do you reckon that Michael Jordan is heads-and-shoulders more fiscally solvent than Ricky Pierce; Brian, Harvey, or Horace Grant; Jerry Reynolds; Jayson, Jason, or Jason Williams?

All unwarranted levity aside, if the mother has been long aware that MJ is the young man’s biological father, I don’t blame her for waiting this long to file this claim. I mean, she took responsibility and raised the kid when she could’ve raked Jordan over the coals much sooner, creating more of a sensation. Maybe she is just now realizing that her son is embarking on a life on his own and regrets not having been able to give him more on her own.

Think about it: If your kid was just about at the age when he was going to have to make it in this world, perhaps seeing the news of his ultra-rich father’s engagement made her rethink his responsibility. And if he is the father, I don’t suppose it would hurt him to settle for a sum that would secure his son’s future.

3. Corey Jeppesen - Mar 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Cromartie is jealous.

4. mcsuave - Mar 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Is this why there was talk of a Jordan comeback? Kids are expensive. :-)

5. mazblast - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Establishing paternity is not exactly an inexact science anymore. Have an independent lab do a DNA test. If he’s the daddy, he should negotiate the financial details. If he’s not, he should tell her to go pound sand.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches