Mar 1, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
It was the fourth straight Player of the Month award for James (in case you had any doubt who the leading candidate for MVP is), and the Heat finished February with a 12-1 record, and entered Friday night riding a 12-game winning streak. He led the league in scoring with a 29.7 points per game average, and also led in field goal percentage by shooting 64.1 percent.
Bryant guided the Lakers to a 9-4 record during that span, and led his team by averaging 23.9 points and 6.6 assists per game. He also added three games of at least 30 points, which puts him at 24 of those performances on the season, and ties him with Kevin Durant for the most 30-point games this year.
Some highlights from each player’s award-winning month are as follows:
LeBron James, Miami Heat
Feb. 14 @ Oklahoma City: Recorded 39 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists in a 110-100 victory over the Thunder.
Feb. 23 @ Philadelphia: Posted his third triple-double of the season with 16 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds in a 114-90 win over the 76ers.
Feb. 26 vs Sacramento: Scored a season-high 40 points and grabbed a career-best 16 rebounds in a 141-129 double-overtime triumph against the Kings.
Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
Feb. 5 @ Brooklyn: Had 20 points, eight rebounds, four assists and four steals in a 92-93 victory against the Nets.
Feb. 10 @ Miami: Recorded 28 points, nine assists and six rebounds in a 107-99 loss to the Heat.
Feb. 24 @ Dallas: Collected 38 points — on 13-of-21 shooting, including 4-of-5 from distance — 12 rebounds and seven assists in the Lakers’ 103-99 win over the Mavericks.
Other players nominated included Atlanta’s Al Horford, Josh Smith and Jeff Teague; Brooklyn’s Brook Lopez; Denver’s Ty Lawson; Houston’s James Harden; Memphis’ Zach Randolph; Miami’s Dwyane Wade, Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, and San Antonio’s Tony Parker.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18