Iguodala says JaVale McGee is too smart for his own good

Mar 1, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT

JaVale McGee, Earl Clark AP

JaVale McGee is a walking highlight. He is athletically gifted like few in the league and he can make plays that make your jaw drop. He can have just monster nights.

Or, he can make a mental blunder that is a reason he is a regular on Shaqtin’ a Fool.

There have been a lot of explanations for this dichotomy in McGee’s game — focus, maturity, and a whole boatload of other ones.

But Andre Iguodala, speaking to the legend that is Lang Whittaker at GQ, has the best description I’ve ever heard.

JaVale McGee is one of the smartest guys I know. Like, he’s a nerd, plays with gadgets and is into technology. He’s funny–he’s got crazy jokes and his timing with jokes is really funny. You have to be really smart to think the way he does. He’s a thinker, so his mind goes into a lot of different places, and I think that can be taken the wrong way when he’s on the court–he can be an over-thinker at times.

Didn’t see that coming. And because it comes from one of the NBA players I most respect as a person (despite what Sixers fans like to think) I’m going to allow it.

Iggy also made a comment on nightclubs that pretty much sums up my opinion (save for the drinking part).

I think it’s just once you’ve seen one you’ve seen it all. With the exception of maybe Vegas or Miami once or twice, other than that it’s all the same to me. I can’t hear anything in the club with the loud music, so you’re in there and you’re like, “I CAN’T HEAR YOU BECAUSE OF THE LOUD MUSIC.” I hate that, yelling back and forth. And I don’t drink, so it’s kind of pointless.

1. eugenesaxe - Mar 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Soo, McGee is a basketball Rain Man? Because those smarts sure as Hell don’t translate to the court.

2. spthegr8 - Mar 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Am I reading this correctly. Javale is ” to smart”????? Well then……… Nah, this one is WAAAAAYYY to easy!!!!

• broncobeta - Mar 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Please, continue. I’d like to hear your “witty” remark that is “way to easy!!!”. I’m sure it will be side splitting.

• tuberippin - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The irony of your post is causing me physical distress.

• dgforreal - Mar 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Easier than figuring out the proper usage of “too”?

3. larrybrown43 - Mar 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

By too smart I think of a player realizing there is so much more to life than basketball or whatever occupation they’re in. Most people have a myopic perspective.

• adoombray - Mar 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

why people come to a basketball blog, and then insist these guys be anything more than basketball players, or complain about the money they make or whatever, is beyond me. Too smart would include trying to make some kind of quasi morality statement when people are talking about sports.

• davidly - Mar 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Or commenting on something that just went over your head.

4. pensfan603 - Mar 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

To smart for his own good, ya cause to play in the NBA you have to be a Complete idiot

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM

If that were true, then you would be an NBA All-Star.

• badintent - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

that was way too easy. toche

5. joeyb3878 - Mar 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I’m am one of the few Sixers fan that appreciated Iggy. He is a player a team can win a championship with if used properly. With the Sixers he was forced to be the main guy which didn’t play to his skill set. Excellent role player. I think he is what the Lakers are missing.

• badintent - Mar 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Iggy has proven he is the smartest guy bar none in the NBA. For him to diss nightclubs puts him in the Mensa group. Too bad no one in the NBA is listening to him, they can’t Hear him………………

6. psung26 - Mar 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Iggy is the real genius here. Sticking up for and building up confidence in a fellow teammate is the real game plan.

7. phillyphannn83 - Mar 2, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa Kurt. When have we Sixers fans EVER attacked Iggy for the type of person he is? Your assertion here is flat-out wrong and downright offensive. We Philly fans have enough stereotypes to deal with, we don’t need writers with a national audience falsely accusing us of disrespecting a mans character. As a whole, Iggy is widely respected in Philly. He never had any off-the-court issues. Not one. Why would we ever attack his character? Its simple, we never did. We only criticized his play and his pay. We wanted it to work with him. We were disappointed the way things turned out. He was paid as a franchise player and expected to be one. But the truth of the matter is, he is not a franchise player. He is a role player; a starter, but a role player nonetheless. Our unhappiness with him stems from his play not equalling his contract and said contract’s handicapping of our roster. It has absolutely nothing to do with him as a person, which is exactly what you asserted; that we have a problem with Andre Iguodala the person.

It seems we may be too smart for you to figure US out as you routinely make incorrect posts about Philly fans where you CONSTANTLY put words in our mouths. Oh yeah, that’s right, you’re a member of the press. How foolish of me to expect otherwise.

• Kurt Helin - Mar 5, 2013 at 3:32 AM

You apparently do not see my twitter feed or read my emails. And how crazy of me to suggest Philly fans are anything but classy.

8. davidly - Mar 2, 2013 at 6:34 AM

With that recognition Iggy shows just how smart he is, as well.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches