Mar 1, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Back surgery last year had Dwight Howard watching the USA Olympic Men’s Basketball Team win gold in London the same way you did — from your couch.
Howard would have been on the team — he won gold in Beijing in 2008 — but following Howard’s back surgery Tyson Chandler comfortably stepped into the role as center, plus the USA went small at times (which you can do with guys like LeBron James and Chris Bosh on the roster).
“No doubt,” he said…
“I was (upset) mad I couldn’t play in the playoffs and mad I couldn’t play in the Olympics,” Howard said. “I wasn’t too happy with the fact I had to have surgery and miss a lot of basketball.”
The main issue for USA Basketball now is to name a replacement coach for Mike Krzyzewski, the Duke coach who is stepping down from his national team role with a 62-1 record. Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers are considered the two frontrunners for the gig.
Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni was an assistant for Krzyzewski, but he blew off any questions about participating in the future, saying it was not on his radar. His involvement ultimately would be decided by whoever sits in the big chair.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89