Mar 1, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Back surgery last year had Dwight Howard watching the USA Olympic Men’s Basketball Team win gold in London the same way you did — from your couch.
Howard would have been on the team — he won gold in Beijing in 2008 — but following Howard’s back surgery Tyson Chandler comfortably stepped into the role as center, plus the USA went small at times (which you can do with guys like LeBron James and Chris Bosh on the roster).
“No doubt,” he said…
“I was (upset) mad I couldn’t play in the playoffs and mad I couldn’t play in the Olympics,” Howard said. “I wasn’t too happy with the fact I had to have surgery and miss a lot of basketball.”
The main issue for USA Basketball now is to name a replacement coach for Mike Krzyzewski, the Duke coach who is stepping down from his national team role with a 62-1 record. Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers are considered the two frontrunners for the gig.
Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni was an assistant for Krzyzewski, but he blew off any questions about participating in the future, saying it was not on his radar. His involvement ultimately would be decided by whoever sits in the big chair.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2