Mar 1, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Back surgery last year had Dwight Howard watching the USA Olympic Men’s Basketball Team win gold in London the same way you did — from your couch.
Howard would have been on the team — he won gold in Beijing in 2008 — but following Howard’s back surgery Tyson Chandler comfortably stepped into the role as center, plus the USA went small at times (which you can do with guys like LeBron James and Chris Bosh on the roster).
“No doubt,” he said…
“I was (upset) mad I couldn’t play in the playoffs and mad I couldn’t play in the Olympics,” Howard said. “I wasn’t too happy with the fact I had to have surgery and miss a lot of basketball.”
The main issue for USA Basketball now is to name a replacement coach for Mike Krzyzewski, the Duke coach who is stepping down from his national team role with a 62-1 record. Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers are considered the two frontrunners for the gig.
Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni was an assistant for Krzyzewski, but he blew off any questions about participating in the future, saying it was not on his radar. His involvement ultimately would be decided by whoever sits in the big chair.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 8
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 17
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34