Feb 28, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Here’s a statistical break down at SI of what an insanely good month of February LeBron James had, trying to put it all in context. Look at it this way: The statistically worst shot in basketball is the long two pointer (16 feet out to the arc) and LeBron shot 62.5 percent from there in February. Or, look at what our friend Rob Mahoney laid out:
In their 12-1 February, the Heat scored an outrageous 120.4 points per 100 possessions with James on the floor. That’s almost 10 points better than Miami’s league-leading mark for the season, and thus on a completely different plane relative to the NBA as a whole.
• A couple of years ago when LeBron signed in Miami, our own John Krolik did a breakdown of what LeBron’s game might look like in Miami. He pretty much went Nostradamus on this, it’s brilliant.
• A great look at the Spurs from our friend Lang Whittaker at GQ.
• We mentioned yesterday in this space that former WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw was in trouble with the law. TMZ will explain why: “According to the police report, 35-year-old Holdsclaw attacked (ex-girlfriend Jennifer) Lacy’s car with a baseball bat and then fired a gun inside the vehicle while Lacy sat in the driver’s seat.” Jail time is a real possibility here.
• A fun look at the bias of local announcing crews. It’s one of the annoyances for those of us League Pass addict.
• This has been out there for a while, but in Seattle they have confirmed that the Hansen/Ballmer group trying to buy the Kings put down a $30 million deposit on the team. Sacramento’s side of the spin will take center stage on Thursday as mayor Kevin Johnson is expected to announce who his large investors to keep the team in the city are.
• The Nets have sent Tornike Shengelia to the D-League.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights