Feb 28, 2013, 2:24 AM EDT
This was the most exciting night of NBA action this season. That sadly meant a lot of good performances get left off the list — Monta Ellis had 27 points and the game winner, DeMar DeRozan dropped 33, Tyson Chandler had 28 rebounds, and the list goes on. But these guys finished on top — and you knew early on Stephen Curry was going to be in the top spot.
Third star: Al Horford (34 points, 15 rebounds)
While we’ve all been watching that LeBron guy, Al Horford has quietly put up a monster February as well. In the Hawks 10 games this month he has averaged 22.2 points, 11.2 rebounds and 3.2 assists, all while shooting 64.9 percent from the floor. To cap off the month he went out and dropped 34 and 15, and he dropped 16 of those points in the fourth quarter, killing any attempted comeback by the Jazz.
Second Star: Kevin Durant (18 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists)
What makes this impressive isn’t just the triple-double, it’s that he did it in 27 minutes — that is the fastest to a triple-double of anyone since 1985. He got there with four minutes left IN THE THIRD QUARTER. Yes, it was in a rout of a hapless Hornets team without two key players, but it doesn’t matter. KD can pretty much do this to anyone anytime he wants.
First Star: Stephen Curry (54 points)
Damn. That was as a Jordan/Kobe level of performance on the big stage of Madison Square Garden. He knocked down 11-of-13 from three. He had 54 points on just 28 shots. Curry showed off both fantastic handles and more explosive moves off the bounce than defenders expect. Plus, he is so, so quick with the release that defenders just do not get to contest like they think. Knicks defenders had no answers. No player has ever knocked down 10 threes or more and scored 50 points in a game before.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61