Steve Nash says he wouldn’t change thing about his decision

Feb 28, 2013, 9:15 AM EST

Steve Nash, Darren Collison AP

Steve Nash is not one for regret.

When he decided to leave Phoenix to chase a ring the last couple years of his career he had plenty of suitors — the Knicks really wanted him in Manhattan, Toronto back in Canada, and other teams had inquired.

But Nash chose the Lakers to be close to his family, which stayed in Phoenix. And while the Lakers season has not been what anyone expected, Nash told Sam Amick of the USA Today in a fantastic interview he wouldn’t have made a different decision looking back.

“Ten out of 10 times, I make the same decision again,” Nash told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday. “I’ve gotten to see my kids probably four times as much as I’d seen them if I’d have gone back East. That’s first and foremost. Second of all, it’s a great experience to play for the Lakers organization. … I’m happy here.

“I’m beyond playing for the credit or the adulation. I feel secure in myself as a player. I just want to help this team, regardless of what it means for me personally.”

More than anyone else on the Lakers, Nash has sacrificed his game for the team. In fact, if there had been more of his sacrifice and professionalism in the locker room the Lakers might not be looking up at the playoffs.

He is the best decision maker in the game, he is a two-time MVP, generally you want the ball in his hands because good things happen. But that’s not what has worked in L.A. Nash shares playmaking duties with Kobe Bryant and is a space-the-floor shooter on a lot of plays. Which is not what anyone expected when Mike D’Antoni was hired, but it’s what is working for the Lakers, who have won 11 of their last 15.

“His desire to figure out a way to make it work is remarkable,” Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday. “He’s always prodding, always making the sacrifice. Yet you have to catch yourself and say, ‘This is a two-time MVP.’ He could certainly say, ‘No, I’m not changing. You’ve got to do it my way.’ How many two-time MVPs are as accommodating as he is?”

Said D’Antoni: “It’s too bad not everybody is like that, because that would make my job and everybody’s job … a lot easier. It’s not like that, but he’s hard to put in words because he’s the best you can be — with his teammates, with his coaching staff. He’s the best. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Nash has two more years under contract after this one (more than any other Laker on the roster right now) and whatever these Lakers evolve into the next couple years he will be at the heart of it.

1. pellypell - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Of course he said that, you really think he would sit there and say, “Man, I really wish I didn’t come to LA, it sucks here.” ?

• guyaneserj - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

2. delusionalcardsfan - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

He would have been better off staying with the Suns!

• fanofevilempire - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

they didn’t want him.

3. thomaskouns - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’m a Nash fan but that guy will never take any stand or make a statement that is in the least bit controversial.

• pellypell - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Not sure why people are disagreeing with you, Nash isn’t the type to go against the grain and at 39 isn’t about to start.

4. kb2408 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Man, as a LAKERS fan, I sure wish we couldn’t gotten him five years ago. Or a 34 year old Nash instead of the 39 year old Nash.

5. gbar22 - Feb 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Exactly as a previous poster pointed out what did you think he was going to say about the team he plays for? Nash would never say something damning about the team. Yet another silly non article

6. censormynameandmycomments - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Nash didn’t go to LA to “be near his kids.” I’m pretty sure the legal action he took to prevent his ex-wife from moving with the kids to the LA area precludes that argument from ever being used again.

Nash went to LA for 2 reasons: 1) He thought he might be able to win a title. 2) The Lakers just so happened (what a coincidence!) to have a $9 million trade exception to pay him with. They were the only team that could do both (give him a chance to win and pay him). That’s why he’s there.

7. omniusprime - Mar 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM

We Laker fans wish Ancient Trash Nash would have stayed in Phoenix. He’s been a total zero for the Lakers, especially on defense which he never played. Trash Nash is one of the main reasons the Lakers suck this season, him and Steve Flake are pathetic choices for point guard. The biggest reason the Lakers stink is Dumbtoni, the worst coach in Laker history.

Trade Trash Nash and Steve Flake!!! Fire Dumbtoni!!! Thanks Dr. Buss, Rest in Peace!!!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches