Feb 28, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
Around this time of year, with the playoffs looming and growing closer, teams start to think about adding a little bit of veteran depth to the roster. Guys that will not get a lot of run but can be trusted in small roles, plus will be professional in practice and preparation.
That’s where Louis Amundson comes in. The veteran energy forward was let go by the Timberwolves and now is in conversations with a few teams, he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
Amundson said in a phone interview Thursday that his agent, Mark Bartelstein, has had conversations with Heat president Pat Riley about him. But he said the recent signing by Miami of Chris Andersen might be too much of a duplication as the Heat seek to possibly fill their 15th spot….
The 6-foot-9 Amundson said other teams in mix for him are Chicago, Boston and New York. The Knicks have a full roster of 15, but Amundson said they’re waiting to see how it works out with Kenyon Martin, who recently signed a 10-day contract. The Knicks also could clear a roster spot by waiving Rasheed Wallace, out for the season due to a foot injury.
With Miami having Andersen in the rotation and Joel Anthony still on the roster, it’s hard to see where Amundson fits there. As mentioned, the Knicks have Kenyon Martin and he likely sticks there.
We’ll see if the Bulls or Celtics — or previously rumored teams like the Sixers — decide to make a late season addition. Boston is giving D.J. White a chance first and it seems more and more like Amundson is everybody’s fallback position. But eventually someone likely gets to their fallback.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 47
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 20
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6