Wizards broadcaster mistakes an airball for the game-winning shot (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT

It was so close.

The Wizards trailed the Pistons by a single point with just over 12 seconds remaining on Wednesday, and as the ball went to Trevor Ariza in the corner with the game clock winding down, he launched what at first glance appeared to be a game-winning three-pointer that looked like it went down before time expired.

Wizards play-by-play man Steve Buckhantz saw it that way from where he was sitting inside the arena, and I’ll admit, watching at home I thought it was good on the initial viewing myself.

But looking at the way Ariza walked away, with head hanging and without any celebration, I just figured he didn’t get it off in time — until the replay showed that the ball grazed the bottom of the net instead of going through the basket.

That didn’t stop Buckhantz from making his patented “Dagger!” call as the shot fell short, leading to a slightly embarrassing exchange after he realized what had ultimately just happened.

1. jdhein22 - Feb 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

“Patented Dagger call”, you mean the one that Wayne Larrivee owns the trademark on?

• jjordannba - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Nobody respects a snotty..

2. wamj2008 - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

As a Packers fan I can’t take Wayne Larrivee. Here we are on a basketball blog, on a post about a game between the Pistons and Wizards, talking about Green Bay Packers announcer Wayne Larrivee because someone said “dagger.” That’s how bad it is.

• theripster30 - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Wayne Larrivee was a Bulls broadcaster for a long time with Johnny “Red” Kerr, if it makes you feel any better. Now you can’t claim the dagger reference has no relation to basketball or whatever your point is…

3. Mike Denroche - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Somewhere Gus Johnson is shaking his head

4. kb2408 - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Why can’t I see the video on my tricked out galaxy note 2?!! I couldn’t see them on my iPhone either. WTF?!

5. mrlaloosh - Feb 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Wizards, who cares?

6. dko83 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I thought it went in too.

7. saint1997 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I reckon Beal should have let that bad boy fly. He’s their late game guy now

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches