Metta World Peace’s words become poetry

Feb 27, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Metta World Peace is his own kind of poetry sometimes.

Interviewing him can mean stream-of-consciousness tangents mixed with shards of real insight. Or, it can just be weird. But it’s almost never like most clichéd interviews. And in a way that’s its own kind of poetry.

Now Jeff Parker, a published author and also the Director of the Low Residency MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Tampa, has assembled World Peace quotes and turned them into a poem titled “Erratic Fire, Erratic Passion.” It’s a fascinating poem published at The Barnstormer.

Thanks our old friend Rob Mahoney at The Point Forward at Sports Illustrated for finding this. This is just part of the poem.

Kobe passed me the ball.
Kobe never passed me the ball.
And I could hear Phil Jackson–
He’s the Zen master,
So you can just hear him in your head.
Saying, “Don’t shoot don’t shoot!”
And bam! I shot it.

I was lying down when I got hit with a liquid,
Ice and glass on my chest and on my face.
Nobody ever just threw anything at me
With the exception of a few times.

After that, it was self-defense.
I’ll take the blame for that. It’s my fault.
Stunned. So stunned. It’s stunning.
Erratic fire, erratic passion.

Go read the entire thing. It’s interesting. Like MWP.

In a world where players spew clichés to keep any negative attention away, World Peace just tells you what he’s thinking. Which may or may not have to do with the game played or questioned asked, but it’s usually interesting.

1. rayray5227 - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I love this guy. In a world where athletes show two types of personalities off and on the court, this guy just keeps it real.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

One might argue MWP shows two personalities too… but he genuinely has two of them!

2. timb12 - Feb 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

And bam. I shot it.

Haha best part.

3. tuberippin - Feb 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

If any athlete deserved to have his or her words turned into poetry, it is Ron Artest. MWP’s interview after the Lakers won their last title was the best sports interview I’ve seen since Mike Tyson’s heyday.

4. fanofevilempire - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I like Ron, he reminds me of Rodman.

5. 00maltliquor - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Finally, MWP getting recognized for his sheer brilliance! Nice!

6. progress2011 - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM

MAN….

” RON ARTEST ” is still a FAKE THUG, from a FAKE HOOD, that likes to FAKE like he’s crazy, playing

on a FAKE squad !

I guess they are already planning their schedules, since they won’t be in the playoffs !
    1. Howard doin photo shoots
    2. RON ARTEST speaking gibberish, calling it poetry
    3. FAKE MJ trying to find a camera to do his best MJ pose

All them dudes on the laker squad FAKE Hollywood !

Wizards playing spoiler in East