Feb 27, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
Metta World Peace is his own kind of poetry sometimes.
Interviewing him can mean stream-of-consciousness tangents mixed with shards of real insight. Or, it can just be weird. But it’s almost never like most clichéd interviews. And in a way that’s its own kind of poetry.
Now Jeff Parker, a published author and also the Director of the Low Residency MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Tampa, has assembled World Peace quotes and turned them into a poem titled “Erratic Fire, Erratic Passion.” It’s a fascinating poem published at The Barnstormer.
Thanks our old friend Rob Mahoney at The Point Forward at Sports Illustrated for finding this. This is just part of the poem.
Kobe passed me the ball.
Kobe never passed me the ball.
And I could hear Phil Jackson–
He’s the Zen master,
So you can just hear him in your head.
Saying, “Don’t shoot don’t shoot!”
And bam! I shot it.
I was lying down when I got hit with a liquid,
Ice and glass on my chest and on my face.
Nobody ever just threw anything at me
With the exception of a few times.
After that, it was self-defense.
I’ll take the blame for that. It’s my fault.
Stunned. So stunned. It’s stunning.
Erratic fire, erratic passion.
Go read the entire thing. It’s interesting. Like MWP.
In a world where players spew clichés to keep any negative attention away, World Peace just tells you what he’s thinking. Which may or may not have to do with the game played or questioned asked, but it’s usually interesting.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18