Feb 27, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Which has led to the general outcry of, “Why won’t LeBron do the All-Star Dunk Contest?”
LeBron’s reaction might be to shut down the pregame show, he told ESPN’s Mike Wallace.
“Maybe I should stop because it’s making a lot of people mad about what I do,” James said after he scored a season-high 40 points and had a career-high 16 assists in Tuesday’s double-overtime win against Sacramento. “They’re like, ‘Well, if you can do it in warm-ups, why don’t you [want to] be in the dunk contest?’ Stop it.’ “
LeBron has said for a couple years now the dunk contest is out. He says he’s too old. The reality is that he has nothing to gain — win it and he was supposed to win it. Lose it because some young high-flier puts on a great show and he never hears the end of it from the talking heads.
But after Dunk Contests like this year — with 36 missed dunks, a lot of delays and an uninspiring overall show — people are calling for the stars to get involved again. And right now there is no bigger star than LeBron James. Who can clearly still dunk. So…
Not. Going. To. Happen.
And spare me the legacy argument (Jordan won the dunk contest, Kobe won it). LeBron’s legacy will be about rings at this point; the dunk contest really doesn’t matter. MVPs or other awards are nice, but at this point the legacy is about the rings.
Now people’s complaints may end a fun little pregame show he, Mario Chalmers (who did a 360 the other night) and others are putting on. Well done.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury