Feb 27, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
Which has led to the general outcry of, “Why won’t LeBron do the All-Star Dunk Contest?”
LeBron’s reaction might be to shut down the pregame show, he told ESPN’s Mike Wallace.
“Maybe I should stop because it’s making a lot of people mad about what I do,” James said after he scored a season-high 40 points and had a career-high 16 assists in Tuesday’s double-overtime win against Sacramento. “They’re like, ‘Well, if you can do it in warm-ups, why don’t you [want to] be in the dunk contest?’ Stop it.’ “
LeBron has said for a couple years now the dunk contest is out. He says he’s too old. The reality is that he has nothing to gain — win it and he was supposed to win it. Lose it because some young high-flier puts on a great show and he never hears the end of it from the talking heads.
But after Dunk Contests like this year — with 36 missed dunks, a lot of delays and an uninspiring overall show — people are calling for the stars to get involved again. And right now there is no bigger star than LeBron James. Who can clearly still dunk. So…
Not. Going. To. Happen.
And spare me the legacy argument (Jordan won the dunk contest, Kobe won it). LeBron’s legacy will be about rings at this point; the dunk contest really doesn’t matter. MVPs or other awards are nice, but at this point the legacy is about the rings.
Now people’s complaints may end a fun little pregame show he, Mario Chalmers (who did a 360 the other night) and others are putting on. Well done.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 11
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13