Feb 27, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Which has led to the general outcry of, “Why won’t LeBron do the All-Star Dunk Contest?”
LeBron’s reaction might be to shut down the pregame show, he told ESPN’s Mike Wallace.
“Maybe I should stop because it’s making a lot of people mad about what I do,” James said after he scored a season-high 40 points and had a career-high 16 assists in Tuesday’s double-overtime win against Sacramento. “They’re like, ‘Well, if you can do it in warm-ups, why don’t you [want to] be in the dunk contest?’ Stop it.’ “
LeBron has said for a couple years now the dunk contest is out. He says he’s too old. The reality is that he has nothing to gain — win it and he was supposed to win it. Lose it because some young high-flier puts on a great show and he never hears the end of it from the talking heads.
But after Dunk Contests like this year — with 36 missed dunks, a lot of delays and an uninspiring overall show — people are calling for the stars to get involved again. And right now there is no bigger star than LeBron James. Who can clearly still dunk. So…
Not. Going. To. Happen.
And spare me the legacy argument (Jordan won the dunk contest, Kobe won it). LeBron’s legacy will be about rings at this point; the dunk contest really doesn’t matter. MVPs or other awards are nice, but at this point the legacy is about the rings.
Now people’s complaints may end a fun little pregame show he, Mario Chalmers (who did a 360 the other night) and others are putting on. Well done.
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 0
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 7
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10