Jesus Shuttlesworth, er, Ray Allen may want to act again when he retires

Feb 27, 2013, 1:56 PM EST

Ray Allen Denzel Washington Getty Images

Ray Allen has already had a movie role plenty of actors in Hollywood would kill for — staring role opposite Denzel Washington in a major Spike Lee production. He was Jesus Shuttlesworth in “He Got Game.”

After that Allen left acting and went on to a nice little 16-year (and counting) basketball career where he became the NBA’s all-time leading three point shooter.

When that is over, might Ray Allen go back to acting?

Yes, he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

“Oh, yes,” Allen said when asked if wants to act. “It’s just something that’s going to keep me busy and something that can challenge you and keep you focused on a daily basis’…

“Basketball has just taken precedent,’’ Allen said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida about why he hasn’t tackled any significant roles since “He Got Game.” “I haven’t been able to find the time. That took my whole summer (of 1997 after his Milwaukee Bucks had failed to make the playoffs). Now, I’ve been playing in the playoffs. Mostly, you go into June and that time is so limited.”

None other than Leonardo DiCaprio told Allen a couple years ago he should get back in the acting game. Then he and Rick Fox can hang out together at parties and tower over the literally short Hollywood crowd.

1. davidly - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM

All I can say is that before that time, he better NOT be draining any clutch threes against my Pacers in the playoffs, otherwise I’ll seek out his oldest living relative and challenge ‘em to arm rassle.

2. eltrilliardo - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Didn’t he play D’Angelo Barksdale in The Wire?

Yeah, he did.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Unless Ray Allen changed his name to Larry Gilliard, Jr. then he did not play D’Angelo Barksdale.

• dacapt704 - Feb 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Not to mention they look NOTHING alike! SMH @ that guy…

3. claymatthewshairplugs - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

If Rick Fox can play Jackson Vahue on Oz, Ray Allen can definitely play Gonzo in the Muppet Babies

4. tannethrill - Feb 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Keep your day job

5. dacapt704 - Feb 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I think we’d all be better off if he DIDN’T..

• totallyuselessme - Feb 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

You guys didn’t see He Got Game, did you?

Allen played that role masterfully. I repeat, with no hesitation – masterfully. He was praised across the board for it.

If he gets into acting, I’ll be first in line to see his next flick.

6. saint1997 - Feb 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

He and Vince Carter are two of my favourite players of all time. Ray was a beast when he came in the league and is a great role model to young athletes

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches