Feb 27, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
We told you back in December former NBA player Shawne Williams had been arrested on a marijuana charge in the Memphis area — a policeman caught him smoking out in his parked Porsche. There was also some “syrup” — codine heavy cough syrup — in the car.
Now Williams has pled guilty but is not facing much of a penalty, reports TMZ (you just knew it would be TMZ, although the site calls Williams a former “NBA star,” which is a pretty generous definition of the word star).
Williams pled guilty to weed possession today and was sentenced to one day in jail and a $500 fine. He was given credit for time served and has already paid the fee.
The codeine charge was dropped after the passenger in Williams’ car claimed it was his … not Williams’.
Williams played five seasons in the NBA for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets in 2011-12. He did not land with an NBA team this season. There is no team that will pick him up this season now, and while one never says never I wouldn’t bet on next season, either.
Just as a reminder, Williams was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 9
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 49
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29