Feb 27, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
We told you back in December former NBA player Shawne Williams had been arrested on a marijuana charge in the Memphis area — a policeman caught him smoking out in his parked Porsche. There was also some “syrup” — codine heavy cough syrup — in the car.
Now Williams has pled guilty but is not facing much of a penalty, reports TMZ (you just knew it would be TMZ, although the site calls Williams a former “NBA star,” which is a pretty generous definition of the word star).
Williams pled guilty to weed possession today and was sentenced to one day in jail and a $500 fine. He was given credit for time served and has already paid the fee.
The codeine charge was dropped after the passenger in Williams’ car claimed it was his … not Williams’.
Williams played five seasons in the NBA for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets in 2011-12. He did not land with an NBA team this season. There is no team that will pick him up this season now, and while one never says never I wouldn’t bet on next season, either.
Just as a reminder, Williams was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 0
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2