Feb 27, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
We told you back in December former NBA player Shawne Williams had been arrested on a marijuana charge in the Memphis area — a policeman caught him smoking out in his parked Porsche. There was also some “syrup” — codine heavy cough syrup — in the car.
Now Williams has pled guilty but is not facing much of a penalty, reports TMZ (you just knew it would be TMZ, although the site calls Williams a former “NBA star,” which is a pretty generous definition of the word star).
Williams pled guilty to weed possession today and was sentenced to one day in jail and a $500 fine. He was given credit for time served and has already paid the fee.
The codeine charge was dropped after the passenger in Williams’ car claimed it was his … not Williams’.
Williams played five seasons in the NBA for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets in 2011-12. He did not land with an NBA team this season. There is no team that will pick him up this season now, and while one never says never I wouldn’t bet on next season, either.
Just as a reminder, Williams was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 0
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24