Feb 27, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
We told you back in December former NBA player Shawne Williams had been arrested on a marijuana charge in the Memphis area — a policeman caught him smoking out in his parked Porsche. There was also some “syrup” — codine heavy cough syrup — in the car.
Now Williams has pled guilty but is not facing much of a penalty, reports TMZ (you just knew it would be TMZ, although the site calls Williams a former “NBA star,” which is a pretty generous definition of the word star).
Williams pled guilty to weed possession today and was sentenced to one day in jail and a $500 fine. He was given credit for time served and has already paid the fee.
The codeine charge was dropped after the passenger in Williams’ car claimed it was his … not Williams’.
Williams played five seasons in the NBA for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets in 2011-12. He did not land with an NBA team this season. There is no team that will pick him up this season now, and while one never says never I wouldn’t bet on next season, either.
Just as a reminder, Williams was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13