Feb 27, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
We told you back in December former NBA player Shawne Williams had been arrested on a marijuana charge in the Memphis area — a policeman caught him smoking out in his parked Porsche. There was also some “syrup” — codine heavy cough syrup — in the car.
Now Williams has pled guilty but is not facing much of a penalty, reports TMZ (you just knew it would be TMZ, although the site calls Williams a former “NBA star,” which is a pretty generous definition of the word star).
Williams pled guilty to weed possession today and was sentenced to one day in jail and a $500 fine. He was given credit for time served and has already paid the fee.
The codeine charge was dropped after the passenger in Williams’ car claimed it was his … not Williams’.
Williams played five seasons in the NBA for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets in 2011-12. He did not land with an NBA team this season. There is no team that will pick him up this season now, and while one never says never I wouldn’t bet on next season, either.
Just as a reminder, Williams was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18