Feb 27, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
We told you back in December former NBA player Shawne Williams had been arrested on a marijuana charge in the Memphis area — a policeman caught him smoking out in his parked Porsche. There was also some “syrup” — codine heavy cough syrup — in the car.
Now Williams has pled guilty but is not facing much of a penalty, reports TMZ (you just knew it would be TMZ, although the site calls Williams a former “NBA star,” which is a pretty generous definition of the word star).
Williams pled guilty to weed possession today and was sentenced to one day in jail and a $500 fine. He was given credit for time served and has already paid the fee.
The codeine charge was dropped after the passenger in Williams’ car claimed it was his … not Williams’.
Williams played five seasons in the NBA for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets in 2011-12. He did not land with an NBA team this season. There is no team that will pick him up this season now, and while one never says never I wouldn’t bet on next season, either.
Just as a reminder, Williams was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
- Dante Exum impresses in flashes during Summer League debut with Jazz 1
- Reports: Luol Deng agrees to two years, $20 million deal with Miami 36
- Cavaliers coach Blatt: Wiggins “not going anywhere” 73
- It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks 35
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 70
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 51
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 60
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 51