Feb 26, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
There’s a perception that today’s athletes are so much better than years past that it’s not a fair comparison. And in honesty, the average NBA player now is taller, faster and better conditioned than the players of eras gone by.
But if you think the elite players back in the day would fall short in today’s NBA, you are mistaken.
As proof, check out this vintage Bill Russell footage from when he played at the University of San Francisco, grabbing the rebound, leading the break, leaping over a guy at the free throw line, hanging in the air and making the lay-up. Tell me again how he wouldn’t fit in today’s NBA (more as a four than a five, but still)?
Great find by Red’s Army, which posted this first (it sense has started to pop up a few places).
Feb 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EST
The Cavaliers’ rim protection has been infinitely better since the arrival of Timofey Mozgov, but he wasn’t stopping Draymond Green on this one.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM EST
DeMar DeRozan says he’s right next to Lowry on this.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:01 AM EST
And it’s got Tupac.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:10 AM EST
Westbrook had the numbers but Bledsoe was efficient.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
He’s officially doubtful for Friday against the Pacers.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
You reach, Curry will teach.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 AM EST
If you had any doubts about the Cavs, they answered them.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:15 AM EST
He was 86.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 AM EST
LeBron looked at Stephen Curry across the way and decided to make his own MVP statement.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:59 PM EST
Fancy footwork on display.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Rose will undergo surgery Friday morning.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Stoudemire has interest in a reunion.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Yes it’s a little late in coming, but it’s worth remembering what a quality player he was.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:21 PM EST
“30 minutes with Marv Albert is enough.”
Feb 26, 2015, 6:31 PM EST
Doc Rivers the GM is doing Doc Rivers the coach wrong.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
He is having all or part of the meniscus removed, which makes for a faster recovery.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
While in theory he could return for a few games, in practice that’s not going to happen.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Good luck prying Cousins from Sacramento
Feb 26, 2015, 3:27 PM EST
He is weeks away from playing in a game.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 10
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44