Roy Hibbert ejected in dust up with Steph Curry, Warriors

Feb 26, 2013, 9:44 PM EDT

Roy Hibbert, your suspension will come down tomorrow.

Hibbert and David Lee got into a shoving match in the middle of the fourth quarter of the Pacers/Warriors game Tuesday that quickly escalated with everybody on the court jumping in. It was a scrum that saw Stephen Curry get thrown around like a rag doll by Hibbert — and to his credit bounce right back up and go at it. Hibbert was ejected and the suspension for his Curry toss is coming.

We’ll see if other fines come down as well.

Indiana, up 10 at the time of the fight, followed the lead of a fired up David West to win 108-97, the fifth straight double-digit win for the Pacers.

It all started at 6:05 in the fourth quarter as West was posting up Andris Biedrins on the left block , but watch Roy Hibbert and David Lee off the ball in the video above, there is pushing going on while the play is in action.

Then as the shot goes up Lee gives Hibbert a two-handed shove like he’s trying to clear out space for a rebound in the 1950s (that was pretty much legal then). Hibbert comes back and shoves Lee hard after the whistle and now these two are doing the NBA bumping/shoving fight (no actual punches.)

Guys step in to separate them, Hibbert gets pushed out of the scrum and Stephen Curry came rushing up to Hibbert and Curry was thrown to the ground like a rag doll. That is what got Hibbert ejected and what will get him at least a one-game suspension.

Then everybody on the floor got into the scrum, which chased off the baseline photographers and started to spill into the first row of fans. West came in as a “peacemaker” and knocked a bunch of people over and did a lot of jawing.

When it was over a very hot Hibbert was given two fouls and ejected. Curry, West, Klay Thompson and David Lee all got technical.

The only thing I would like to see is Lee get a fine, his shove was really the instigation.

1. professoressadiesel - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Steph Curry, what are you trying to do?!?

David West with the nice push on Frank Vogel though.

2. savvybynature - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Curry was kind of asking for it honestly. He had nothing to do with the play but decided to run up to an obviously incensed, 7-foot 2-inch player on the opposing team and wrap his arms around him? Twice? What did he expect to happen?

In the heat of the moment, I probably would push him off me too. Not like Hibbert took a swing at him, was more like “stop hugging me I’m angry right now” shove than an intent to injure.

• thestudiokida - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I believe Steph Curry was trying to tackle/fight Hibbert but instead we learned that Hibbert’s left arm weighs more than Curry.

• saint1997 - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I’m not sure I totally agree. I see the point you’re trying to make and it does make sense but for me i just feel that Steph was trying to back up his teammate as the players do (what with loyalty being so big) and Roy really seemed aggressive in the way he threw him down, particularly the second time

• moseskkim - Feb 27, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Thank u savvy. Hibbert got pushed by dlee first.. Hard. Then they got into it a little. Then steph didn’t just hold him.. He went at him with full force. Sure his intent could’ve been to hold him back but no one wants to be stopped like that. Get off me dawg. Dlee was doin more and instigated. Dwest looked like gangbusters. I honestly don’t think hibbert deserves a suspension. U could see at the end that dlee and hibbert were right next to each other. They could’ve gone at it again but they didn’t.. The other players made it so much worse.

3. dondada10 - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

What the hell was that awkward shoulder shove that Lee threw?

God, basketball players fight like girls.

• thestudiokida - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Middle school fight. “YOU’RE LUCKY HE’S HOLDING ME BACK, BRO!” even though nobody’s holding him back.

• borderline1988 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

They’re playing in the NBA; getting into an all-out brawl or throwing a real punch could ruin their careers and at the least could literally cost them millions of dollars. Maybe a guy like you is willing to fight for real, but that’s because you have a lot less to lose…

I doubt either of you would want to meet an angry Roy Hibbert in a back alley at night. Or pretty much anyone on the Pacers.

• iknowzeroaboutsports - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Basketball players are twice your size (any of you). A punch from one of them could kill you. It’s not money. Do some research and go look up Kermit Washington vs Rudy Tomjanovich. That is why they don’t go all-out.

4. vilelabyrinth - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

calling this a brawl is laughable… today’s players are punks..soft, scared punks.. I miss the NBA of my youth.

5. mitchication - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

David West was not “jawing.” He was asking his teammates to get out of the mess.

6. mitchication - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Also, was Curry attempting to Van Gundy Hibbert?

7. lucasblack12 - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM

They obviously know if they get into a real fight they will lose money and be suspended, I wouldn’t fight either. This is all they can’t somewhat get away with

8. dmaq1 - Feb 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM

As a big man (well, 6’5 not 7’2), i really hate when dudes give the all out push with the hands when going for a rebound, I would have gotten mad too.

Hibberts anger is justified imo.

9. baymac408 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Man F** k the pacers! Golden State stand up.. It is what it is.. Atleast Warriors didn’t act out enough to get anybody suspended.. We weren’t getting any calls all game… If your getting hacked every time you go to the basket without a foul then you gotta send a message some way…. Playoffs just get tougher LET’S GO WARRIORS

• dannymac17 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Man yall been playin awful tho

• dexterismyhero - Feb 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

F**K the Macs!!!!

• kavika6 - Feb 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

“Atleast Warriors didn’t act out enough to get anybody suspended.”

Actually they did, they just got away with it because curry is such a scrawny little turd.

10. rayray5227 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Classic Indiana. When the team finally becomes good, they have to get involved in a scrum and possibly jeopardize the season.

11. baymac408 - Feb 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM

You ain’t a Mac.. Macs come from the bay.. Check the soundscan Danny.. We have been slipping lately because we added Bogut to line up and it messed with the chemistry.. We will be allright.. Still building.. I will be happy to make playoffs.. We are slippin tho bruh but not playing awful..

• davidly - Feb 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Ain’ no “Mac Regulation” and if there is, the only bay you gotta be from to be one are these:

12. jerdogthompson - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Perfect. Roy’s out for the game against the Clipps.

Hang in there warriors. Still many games left.

13. jerdogthompson - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Perfect. Roy’s out for the game against the clippers. Thanks curry hope those ankles can hold out.

Hang on warriors, many games left in the “regular” season.

14. baymac408 - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

jerdogthompson…. True..

15. baymac408 - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

We didn’t win but Curry broke some ankles tonight… His are ok

16. jerdogthompson - Feb 27, 2013 at 1:00 AM

My bad on the double post. I was told the first didn’t go through. Nonetheless hope all teams including mine stay healthy and we all can enjoy a series of spectacular playoff games in The West.

Go Clippers.

17. saint1997 - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Makes me happy that Paul G was appearing to cool guys down. Favourite player :)

18. supremekingz - Feb 27, 2013 at 2:32 AM

@iknowzeroaboutsports

I just YouTube’d Kermit Washington- Rudy Tomjanovich story and it was a great documentary and very informative. I now agree with your assessment.

It’s not worth getting in a REAL fight over. It can potentially destroy your career and life.

19. davidly - Feb 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Hibbert is gonna get suspended because of the Malice, unfortunately. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got more than one game, though I don’t think he deserves it.

Seems to me that Curry was trying to look like he was holding him back, but Roy wasn’t going after anybody. Shove, shove back, is all it would’ve been. If Hibbert gets a game, Curry should get two.

20. lbroberts123 - Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Hibbert shouldn’t be the only one suspended for this.

21. kavika6 - Feb 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Curry looked like my sister’s horny poodle humping a pillow.

22. creek0512 - Feb 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I don’t know how you can watch that and think Hibbert should be suspended and not Curry and Lee also.

23. hodaghunter - Feb 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I’m not quite sure what David West is doing there. He waits for everything to reach the peak and then he runs in and appears to push an assistant coach. I’m tired of hearing how “BAD” David West is when it comes to these situations. Dang ol Lollygagger if you ask me…

24. baymac408 - Feb 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

dexterismyhero is a b**ch!!! quote me

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches