Feb 26, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Dennis Rodman — Hall of Fame basketball player and Hall of Fame wild personality — is back in the news. Actually, I’m not sure the legendary Piston and Bull (among others) was really ever out of the news. But he’s making headlines again as he is in North Korea?
For fun, let’s take a look at Rodman’s 10 craziest moments (or the ones I picked out of hundreds of options, anyway).
10. Dennis Rodman goes to North Korea as a basketball ambassador. Rodman in a country testing nuclear weapon missiles, I don’t see what could possibly go wrong. This is happening right now, in 2013, as Rodman is there with three Harlem Globetrotters as basketball ambassadors. The idea is to break down barriers by having Rodman teach basketball clinics and play some pick-up games with the North Koreans. All for a Vice Media production to air on HBO in early April. Again, I can’t imagine this going poorly.
9. The movie “Double Team.” If you’ve never seen Rodman’s 1999 action movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme, do not rent it. Stay away. You can do anything short of taking up smoking with those two hours and your life will be better for it. Rodman did win a lot of awards for the film — it was a Razzies hit.
8. Rodman dresses in wedding gown so he can marry himself. To promote the book “Bad As I Wanna Be” Rodman said he was bisexual, dressed in a wedding gown at a book signing and said he was going to marry himself. He said he got $10 million for the book and the stunt, by the way, so think about what you would do for $10 million before casting blame here.
7. MTV’s “Rodman World Tour.” Back in 1996 MTV had this idea that having Dennis Rodman traveling the world and meeting other celebrities would make a great show (this was before MTV figured out it was cheaper and better television to just throw a few unknown a****** in a house together). The show was generally filled with awkward moments and meetings with the likes of Jay Leno, and Whoopi Goldberg.
6. Rodman kicks a photographer in the… groin. There are many moments of Dennis Rodman just losing it on the court, but this moment is one of the most famous and replayed.
5. Rodman dates Madonna. It was short lived, just a few glorious months in 1994, but this was the ultimate strange celebrity couple. It filled the tabloids and would have minted TMZ millions if it existed back then. Rodman said during their relationship Madonna wanted him to get her pregnant. I think we can all be thankful that didn’t work out.
4. Rodman enters the wrestling ring. Back in 1998 he joined Hulk Hogan and whoever else in the rogue New World Order where he wrestled against Karl Malone. Not surprisingly, Rodman was actually pretty good at the fake wrestling thing.
3. Rodman saying Larry Bird was overrated because he was white. This was early, pre-tats, Detroit Pistons Dennis Rodman saying what frankly to this day is strongly believed by some in the African-American community. Of course, Rodman said this after Bird’s Celtics just beat his Pistons in the 1987 playoffs. It’s also not true. Ask Magic Johnson about it. You don’t finish with career averages of 24 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists per game with three rings and three MVPs because of the color of your skin.
2. Rodman headbutts a referee. Nope, you can’t do that. Rodman was with the Bulls in 1996 and was ejected late in the first quarter of a random regular season. And he snaps — he headbutts the referee, rips off his jersey, knocks over a Gatorade container then leaves. Best part of the video is the bemused Phil Jackson.
1. The night Rodman slept in a car in the Palace of Auburn Hills parking lot with a shotgun on his lap. That really happened and he discussed it in his book “Bad as I Want To Be.” Clearly Rodman was and is dealing with serious mental issues in his life and that leads to scary moments like this where he said he contemplated suicide. Rodman was rich and famous but said he felt empty inside. He didn’t kill himself, what he decided that night was he needed to stop being who other people wanted him to be. He was not going to be phony; he was going to be himself. And that led to a lot of the moments above, Rodman being Rodman.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Our first real look at the new uniforms and new court design.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
I’m pretty sure Popovich doesn’t want him taking one of these in a game.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
He’s going to fight for minutes at a crowded wing spot in Charlotte.
Sep 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Nobody expects much from the Timberwolves or Wiggins this season, outside of a few highlight dunks.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
A team is going to have to pay him at least $2 million a year to make it worth his while.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Neither player made this summer’s final 12-man roster.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Lakers president believes Bryant is ready after he missed all but six games last season due to injury.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Rubio may not like it, but Minnesota can retain his rights in restricted free agency next summer.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Big man from Mexico preferred to remain in the NBA, but took the payday to return overseas.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Watch it all the way through.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
With two years left in the NBA, Bryant has an eye on life after basketball.
Sep 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
A previous report said Gibson was less than thrilled with remaining a reserve.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Blatche can play, but the NBA offers simply weren’t there.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
10-story-high banner will return after a similar one was taken down when James left in 2010.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Unsurprisingly, Curry supports his backcourt mate 100 percent.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
He had toe surgery in mid-August.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
This is what you want out of these guys.
Tyson Chandler says negative comments questioning his impact on chemistry with Knicks were ‘the ultimate shock’
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Chandler, now with Dallas, fires back at the Knicks.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 2
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18