Feb 26, 2013, 8:41 AM EDT
It has become official — Derek Fisher has joined the Oklahoma City Thunder for a playoff run. Again. After trading Eric Maynor OKC decided it don’t fully trust Reggie Jackson to run the backup point guard spot so the re-signed the veteran guard.
That has the Mavericks pretty ticked.
Remember Fisher started the season with the Mavericks but nine games in tweaked his knee and asked out of his contract because he wanted to rehab back at home with his family. Dallas, about the most player-friendly organization in the league, granted his wish and released him.
Owner Mark Cuban did not reply to multiple emails on Monday, but one league source said the best way to describe the mood of the Dallas front office is “agitated.” The source said that Fisher and his representatives never contacted the Mavs during his decision-making process to discuss a possible return to Dallas, the team that, in good faith, initially signed him.
The Thunder are a title contender and Fisher will wear No. 6 for them — as in he is going after his sixth ring. Fisher has the reputation as an upstanding guy, the players’ union president, but it isn’t comfortable that suddenly family isn’t as big a concern for a few months if he can make a title run, something that was never really in the cards with this Mavericks team.
The Thunder got their man. But if you see a lot of him on the court it’s a bad sign in OKC because the game has pretty much passed him by at this point.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 2
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 9
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 15
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35