Feb 26, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Okay Jerry Colangelo, time to bury the hatchet and go have a serious conversation with Gregg Popovich. If that requires a little groveling on your part, then grovel.
But Mike Krzyzewski reiterated again Tuesday on Dan Patrick’s radio show that he is done as Team USA coach (forward to the 9:15 mark of the video below. He’s not coming back for another Olympics cycle. Time to move on.
This is what he has said all along, since before the London Olympics. This was it. USA Basketball head Jerry Colangelo tried one more time to change Coach K’s mind.
Doc Rivers would be a solid choice. But this should be Gregg Popovich’s job — a former Air Force guy and the best coach in the game today. You need to have a coach who rises above the politics of agents and shoe companies and petty rivalries, and there are only a couple guys on that list. Pop is at the top of it. He’s the man. Give him the gig.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 4
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 19
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25