Feb 26, 2013, 2:27 PM EST
Okay Jerry Colangelo, time to bury the hatchet and go have a serious conversation with Gregg Popovich. If that requires a little groveling on your part, then grovel.
But Mike Krzyzewski reiterated again Tuesday on Dan Patrick’s radio show that he is done as Team USA coach (forward to the 9:15 mark of the video below. He’s not coming back for another Olympics cycle. Time to move on.
This is what he has said all along, since before the London Olympics. This was it. USA Basketball head Jerry Colangelo tried one more time to change Coach K’s mind.
Doc Rivers would be a solid choice. But this should be Gregg Popovich’s job — a former Air Force guy and the best coach in the game today. You need to have a coach who rises above the politics of agents and shoe companies and petty rivalries, and there are only a couple guys on that list. Pop is at the top of it. He’s the man. Give him the gig.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13