Feb 26, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Okay Jerry Colangelo, time to bury the hatchet and go have a serious conversation with Gregg Popovich. If that requires a little groveling on your part, then grovel.
But Mike Krzyzewski reiterated again Tuesday on Dan Patrick’s radio show that he is done as Team USA coach (forward to the 9:15 mark of the video below. He’s not coming back for another Olympics cycle. Time to move on.
This is what he has said all along, since before the London Olympics. This was it. USA Basketball head Jerry Colangelo tried one more time to change Coach K’s mind.
Doc Rivers would be a solid choice. But this should be Gregg Popovich’s job — a former Air Force guy and the best coach in the game today. You need to have a coach who rises above the politics of agents and shoe companies and petty rivalries, and there are only a couple guys on that list. Pop is at the top of it. He’s the man. Give him the gig.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38