Derek Fisher doesn’t plan to retire. Why would you think that?

Feb 26, 2013, 5:49 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Dallas Mavericks - Game Three Getty Images

Derek Fisher was back in Oklahoma City Tuesday, practicing with the Thunder, readying for another playoff run. He will be suited up and ready to go on Wednesday when the Thunder host the Hornets.

When Fisher walks on the court, he will be wearing No. 6 — as in he is on a quest for his sixth ring. Thunder coach Scott Brooks wanted him back (after the Thunder moved Eric Maynor at the trade deadline) because of his steady presence in the locker room. The Thunder are hungry.

But Fisher doesn’t want this to be his last rodeo. From the Associated Press.

“I’m not planning on retiring at the end of the season but if this is my last season, I deserve this opportunity to be here with this group,” Fisher said. “So, that’s really what brought me back.”

We’d ask Marc Cuban about where Fisher deserves to be — remember he spent nine games with the Mavericks, tweaked his knee and asked out of his deal at the start of the season — but he is biting his tongue. Possibly literally.

Fisher seems realistic that this could be it — his game has deteriorated and he will be more locker room support and mop up guy than someone who will get minutes that matter in the playoffs. He hasn’t shot better than 40 percent since 2009 and hasn’t averaged more than 10 points a game since 2008. Next season teams are more likely to bring in young guards they can develop than put a 39-year-old Fisher on the end of the bench.

He thought that might be it when he left Dallas, but he’s not ready to give up.

“I knew that I still wanted to play the game. I knew I still had the love, the work ethic, the passion,” Fisher said. “The injury was a setback. The biggest struggle was for me, even after 16 years (in the NBA), playing in a different city, being away from my family. Those are things that I struggled with. But as I was leaving Dallas, I understood the risks that that could possibly be my last game or my last opportunity.”

It will be interesting to see where Brooks puts Fisher in his shrinking playoff rotations.

Latest Posts
  1. Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11

Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

IMG_2292

Plenty of photos and a recap of this week’s launch event from Jordan Brand’s Terminal 23 space in NYC.

2. C.J. Miles gets up, throws down on Clippers (VIDEO)

Dec 18, 2014, 10:12 AM EST

He turned the table on the Clippers and dunked on them.

3. Giannis Antetokounmpo sprains ankle, leaves Bucks game not to return

Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

He walked off under his own power but did not return.

4. Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade

Dec 17, 2014, 11:33 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Rockets, Kings and Knicks also reportedly inquiring about Celtics point guard

5. Adam Silver says Charlotte hosting All-Star Game is inevitable

Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

Adam Silver AP

In related news, Hornets got a ton of public funding to upgrade arena

6. Greg Monroe’s agent says he does not want a trade from Pistons

Dec 17, 2014, 7:39 PM EST

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Getty Images

The offers are not going to be big, will Stan Van Gundy eventually give in and take one?

7. Now what for Milwaukee Bucks? For rookie of the year race?

Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST

Jabari Parker AP

There are no good answers for the Bucks, or for other rookies to reward.

8. Kings owner says Malone fired because Kings now need “jazz director”

Dec 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EST

Oklahoma City at Sacramento Oklahoma City at Sacramento

The Kings roster is poorly suited right now for the style the owner wants to play.

9. Report: Pistons asked for Kyle Korver and Jeff Teague in discussing Greg Monroe trade with Hawks

Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Greg Monroe AP

Portland also reportedly tried to trade for Monroe before he signed the one-year qualifying offer to stay in Detroit.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches