Feb 26, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
Brook Lopez was in a mini-slump following All-Star Weekend in Houston. That happens. The players are pulled 50 different directions during the day and then there are parties every night.
But a week after that game, on Sunday night, the Nets were locked in a low-scoring affair with the Memphis Grizzlies, a team with a big front line (Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol). Plus the Nets were without Joe Johnson for the night.
But coach P.J. Carlesimo benched Lopez the entire fourth quarter. Memphis won 76-72 and the Nets offense had no good options late, while their leading scorer (18.7 points a game) sat on the bench.
Carlesimo acknowledged his error Monday, telling reporters: “I created the situation, and it’s not a good situation. I worry about it that I need to address it, and I worry about it that I need to watch what I do going forward.”
Thing is, Carlesimo has done that a few times recently, Andray Blatche is getting the run. Not only does Lopez need to be in the game but the Nets need to run plays for him — he can score with the game on the line but he’s not going to be Joe Johnson, get the ball 25 feet from the basket and create his own shot. Get Lopez the rock in the post or force the defense to adjust and take that away, which opens up other options.
The Nets are not a consistent team. They need to lean more on Lopez and Johnson, who are their most reliable players night in and night out.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 1
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 7
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11