Feb 26, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
Brook Lopez was in a mini-slump following All-Star Weekend in Houston. That happens. The players are pulled 50 different directions during the day and then there are parties every night.
But a week after that game, on Sunday night, the Nets were locked in a low-scoring affair with the Memphis Grizzlies, a team with a big front line (Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol). Plus the Nets were without Joe Johnson for the night.
But coach P.J. Carlesimo benched Lopez the entire fourth quarter. Memphis won 76-72 and the Nets offense had no good options late, while their leading scorer (18.7 points a game) sat on the bench.
Carlesimo acknowledged his error Monday, telling reporters: “I created the situation, and it’s not a good situation. I worry about it that I need to address it, and I worry about it that I need to watch what I do going forward.”
Thing is, Carlesimo has done that a few times recently, Andray Blatche is getting the run. Not only does Lopez need to be in the game but the Nets need to run plays for him — he can score with the game on the line but he’s not going to be Joe Johnson, get the ball 25 feet from the basket and create his own shot. Get Lopez the rock in the post or force the defense to adjust and take that away, which opens up other options.
The Nets are not a consistent team. They need to lean more on Lopez and Johnson, who are their most reliable players night in and night out.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 16
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15