Some Spurs don’t like In-n-Out Burgers, lose a little of my respect

Feb 25, 2013, 11:30 AM EST

in-n-out

There are certain things that are sacred to Los Angeles natives like myself. The Hollywood Bowl, for one. The Griffith Observatory.

And In-n-Out burgers. That’s true of pretty much the entire West Coast. Don’t mess with those burgers.

But a couple of Spurs did — they didn’t like them. And now, sadly, I’ve lost a little respect for Manu Ginobili.

As a team bonding thing, the Spurs team bus pulled into the In-n-Out near the Oakland airport on the way out of the Bay Area after playing the Warriors. Mike Monroe wrote about it for the Express-News and quoted Matt Bonner — Mr. Sandwich had the right frame of mind (thanks to Tom Ziller of SB Nation for pointing this out).

“It was one of those carpe diem moments,” forward Matt Bonner said. “You know you shouldn’t be eating a grease-laced double burger with fried onions, fries and a milk shake, but once in a while, you’ve got to go for it. It was one of those things where no one will claim responsibility, but everybody enjoyed it.”

Well, not everybody.

“I was coming from lunch, so it was a bad idea,” (Ginobili) said. “Tiago (Splitter) and I ate lunch in San Francisco, but it was a team thing, so I ate a burger and had a shake.”

Stephen Jackson was ambivalent about the experience.

“It was good, but I don’t like In-N-Out like that,” he said. “Fatburger, Sonic, Five Guys, but not In-N-Out. But I ate one.”

Are you kidding me, Stephen? Sonic isn’t even in the same class. Fatburger is solid but a step below. I like Five Guys, but to me even all the way it still is just half a step back of In-n-Out.

For my money, only chain burger that is better in Los Angeles is the mini-chain Umami Burger. But that’s a nicer place, not a drive through. Next time he’s in Los Angeles a few of us need to take Jackson to Father’s Office for the only burger in town clearly better than In-n-Out. But for now, I’ve just lost a little respect for him and Manu.

1. dannymac17 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Wow just another reason why I don’t like the Spurs.

It’s one thing to beat my Clips…but…

You gone talk bad about my burger man???

• kavika6 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Stephen Jackson’s big mouth doesn’t represent the Spurs.

2. weaselpuppy - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Yeah, I’m with the Spurs in this one….not a big fan, way overhyped and pretty much run of the mill burgers. Unimpressed.

• lmoneyfresh - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Nothing beats a double double, animal style. Washed down with a neopolitan shake.

• amlowlife - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

“Two Double-Doubles, extra spread only (no toms, no onions), protein style (no bun, wrapped in lettuce). I’ll be eating in the car (so and extra placemat and extra napkins for a bib).” Extremely messy but yummy–been doing it for years…

Here’s a list of all the I & O “secret” menu options: http://badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

• kavika6 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM

The Spurs are “overhyped”? What planet do you live on?

3. echech88 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Lose *all* of my respect.

4. TeamBalco - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

4×4 Animal Style!

5. hookem6903 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

That’s because in Texas we have Whataburger, which puts these little In-N-Out burgers to shame.

• lmoneyfresh - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I had whattaburger last year (I live near the west coast) and I came away largely unimpressed. To each his own I guess.

• ihavenonickname - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I’ve lived in CA, now I live in TX. Whataburger doesn’t even come close!

• 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Whataburger, haa! That brings me back. I was born in Houston then moved to southern California when I was in elementary. But I’mma roll with In-and-Out on this one.

• turdfurgerson68 - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I first had a Whataburger when I went to university in Arizona. Coming from the east coast I was expecting a much better burger than what I had.

Then, the Whataburger burned to the ground as the result of a grease fire. It was no big loss.

In-N-Out all the way.

6. skarfacci - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Whatever!!!

7. jimsjam33 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Double-Double Animal Style can’t be beat . The Spurs can !

8. jimsjam33 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

What a minute . My wife was watching the ” cooking channel ” Saturday and she called me to the TV. Guy Fieri was doing a thing from a burger shop adjacent to the University of Michigan campus . In that joint they were making humongus burgers that people were going crazy for . They looked awfully good . I don’t know the name , but the next time I’m in Ann Arbor I’m going to find it . Yumm .

• 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I thumbed up your post cause of the Guy Fieri/cooking channel reference. My wife watches that dang channel like I watch ESPN. I’ll even admit, I’ll watch Tripple D with her from time to time! LOL

• jaerba - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It was probably Blimpy Burger (not to be confused with crappy Blimpies subs.)

9. mrbiz8505 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Sonic?…. I’ve always water to go…..but they close down so fast

10. themagicfanguy - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Whataburger isn’t even close. I DO like Five-Guys and Checkers better though.

11. 34thetruth34 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

IN N OUT sucks …

12. cosanostra71 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Umami Burger is good, but The Counter is better. In-N-Out is where it’s at though. On a completely unrelated note I now want an animal style burger for lunch.

13. rajbais - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Their elite athletes! In-and-out burgers should go NOWHERE NEAR their bodies!!! They gotta move well and not be like Vin Baker or pizza-eating Quentin Dailey!

For the record the best burger place ever is Portillo’s in Chicago!!! :) It’s not greasy, the buns are delicious, and mmmmm those curly fries with cheese!!!!!! I can’t stop thinking about them!!!

Kurt, you need to book a plane ticket to Chi town and have some!!! You will never forget the experience!!!

14. jhuck92 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

So tell me again why this is top news?

• 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Because it is, okay.

15. brent05cards - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

In and Out is the most overrated burger joint in America. I live in California so I’ve been subject to listening to people tell me how great it is. but is it? The only thing good about the actual sandwich is the “Special Sauce” the burgers suck! they have little to no flavor and are smaller in size than the French fries! check it out next time you go. Everything else is just ok. So in fact, you just go there for there sauce and French fries not for their burgers. If you want to enjoy a great hamburger go to Five Guys.
    signed
    Chef Brent

• digbysellers - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Chef Brent works at Arby’s.

• lmoneyfresh - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I think the burgers are the best part. But the fries are damn good too. They can’t be that overrated because I’ve yet to see one that wasn’t busy. Just because you don’t like them doesn’t mean they’re overrated.

Signed
      Chef Lmoneyfresh

• fearthehoody - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Signed Chef Brent

who is probably some cook at the local sizzler, and by cook I mean guy who throws food in the microwave and puts on plate at sizzler

16. 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

When my longtime friend comes down with his wife from Minnasota (where he met her at when he moved from Cali), 1st place she tells him to go to is In-and-Out. She MUST have it.

I have just been introduced to Five Guys last year though, and let me tell you…….holy crap that’s the best burger chain I’ve ever eaten at! In-and-Out was untouchable to me in my eyes before that.

• loungefly74 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

my kid’s grandma told me about 5 Guys when she worked outta D.C back in 2003.
      i was fortunate to do some work-training in the area several times since then. man…i couldn’t believe how good it was either. I’m glad they have it now (for the past 5 years) in the town i live in. (yes…i no longer live in Cali…but always a Laker till the end)

17. loungefly74 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

In-N-Out and 5 Guys are both awesome…

a step below but good is Carl’s Jr…

the worst? WhiteCastle. The beastie boys had that all wrong…

• 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Carl’s Jr. used to be good but then they started getting cheap and just slap together their burgers and they look NOTHING like they do on TV, and taste like sht.

I thought it was just the one place I was getting them at so I went to other CJ’s in Las Vegas and still the same result. Then I moved back to So Cal and went to many different CJ’s since then and still, same crap. I used to be hooked on thier Jalapeno Burger (extra Santa Fe sauce) but the last 3-4 years have been a dissapointment.

**sidenote** Here’s a sleeper pick (if were talking bout a step below)— Del Taco’s Bacon Double Del (and ask for a side of secret sauce). Trust!

• loungefly74 - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Carl’s can be hit n’ miss. haven’t been to Del Taco in years…maybe over a decade. dang. we used to always hit that up when the had the 39 cent taco specials. A NorCal favorite was JimBoy’s. last i heard its only around the Sac area. ooohhh…soo good. its a authentic/fast food mash-up. but hey…since we are talking about tacos…man…the taco trucks rule. that stuff is good (sits at cubicle with hands on chin daydreaming of days long gone…a single tear runs down cheek. hahahaha!). alright, off track here…back to burgers!

what are your thoughts about Jack in the Box? IDK…i love that place, yeah it is sloppy like Carls but…always hit it up when im back visiting. sourdoughjack…mmmm…

• 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Funny you say Jack-In-The-Box ’cause I put them in the same catagory as Carl’s Jr. They USED to be real good up to the last 3-4 years then they seemingly got cheap and stopped caring about the quality of their burgers.

Anytime I eat at one of their spots I’m always hugely dissapointed, so I stopped going to both. IDK, maybe you live in the ONE area in the US where the workers actually care about putting out a quality product.

And taco trucks….hellllllllls yeeeeah!!! When I lived in Vegas working as a concrete foreman we’d eat from them all day long. It was a hit and miss with each different truck but there were more good trucks then bad and the ones that were good were GREAT! Just sucked when lunchtime was over, made it hard to get back to work, that stuff slows you down and all you want is a beer and a nap! LOL

18. namaths5thofwhiskey - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Superb journalism. smh.

19. cameltoehoe - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

If they wanted a quick Burger in the East Bay, they should have gone to Nation’s Giant Hamburger. They prob would have gotten jacked, but at least they would have grubbed on great burgers & banana cream pie!

20. spideysdog - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I feel very confident that a. Manu and Stephen care about your opinion on their burger selections ALMOST as much as I do, and b. it must be a damn slow day in NBA world when we are posting stories about fast food chains players like or don’t.

can I have the last 114 seconds of my life back? please.

• xLith - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Ask the guy with the gun pointed at you, forcing you to read this, to give you 114 seconds back. Oh wait there’s no one forcing you to read this and comment on it on top of that…

• cosanostra71 - Feb 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

39 comments, obviously a few people care

21. savvybynature - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

You failed to pass along the tidbit where rookie Aaron Baynes ate four double burgers in, according to teammate Patty Mills, about 3 bites each!

That makes up for a couple teammates’ ambivalence no?

22. bushido49ers - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Fatburger a step below In-n-Out? Mr. Helin we disagree as always. Good day, sir.

23. bigbenh8tr - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

24. kingrons8402 - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I have only had In- Out once in Sacramento by the airport and it was really good. Both them and 5 guys have amazing burgers but I am a fatty and I would go with 5 Guys just for the fact that the In- Out in Sacramento didnt do mayo.

For those in California is that standard for the In- Outs to not have mayo or was that just an aberration.

25. fearthehoody - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM

In-n-Out easily the best burger! Counter is good, 5 guys is close but no equal to In-n-Out. Place called 25 degrees in Hollywood has some amazing, but pricey burgers!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches