Feb 25, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
There are certain things that are sacred to Los Angeles natives like myself. The Hollywood Bowl, for one. The Griffith Observatory.
And In-n-Out burgers. That’s true of pretty much the entire West Coast. Don’t mess with those burgers.
But a couple of Spurs did — they didn’t like them. And now, sadly, I’ve lost a little respect for Manu Ginobili.
As a team bonding thing, the Spurs team bus pulled into the In-n-Out near the Oakland airport on the way out of the Bay Area after playing the Warriors. Mike Monroe wrote about it for the Express-News and quoted Matt Bonner — Mr. Sandwich had the right frame of mind (thanks to Tom Ziller of SB Nation for pointing this out).
“It was one of those carpe diem moments,” forward Matt Bonner said. “You know you shouldn’t be eating a grease-laced double burger with fried onions, fries and a milk shake, but once in a while, you’ve got to go for it. It was one of those things where no one will claim responsibility, but everybody enjoyed it.”
Well, not everybody.
“I was coming from lunch, so it was a bad idea,” (Ginobili) said. “Tiago (Splitter) and I ate lunch in San Francisco, but it was a team thing, so I ate a burger and had a shake.”
Stephen Jackson was ambivalent about the experience.
“It was good, but I don’t like In-N-Out like that,” he said. “Fatburger, Sonic, Five Guys, but not In-N-Out. But I ate one.”
Are you kidding me, Stephen? Sonic isn’t even in the same class. Fatburger is solid but a step below. I like Five Guys, but to me even all the way it still is just half a step back of In-n-Out.
For my money, only chain burger that is better in Los Angeles is the mini-chain Umami Burger. But that’s a nicer place, not a drive through. Next time he’s in Los Angeles a few of us need to take Jackson to Father’s Office for the only burger in town clearly better than In-n-Out. But for now, I’ve just lost a little respect for him and Manu.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 11
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 6
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18