Some Spurs don’t like In-n-Out Burgers, lose a little of my respect

Feb 25, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

in-n-out

There are certain things that are sacred to Los Angeles natives like myself. The Hollywood Bowl, for one. The Griffith Observatory.

And In-n-Out burgers. That’s true of pretty much the entire West Coast. Don’t mess with those burgers.

But a couple of Spurs did — they didn’t like them. And now, sadly, I’ve lost a little respect for Manu Ginobili.

As a team bonding thing, the Spurs team bus pulled into the In-n-Out near the Oakland airport on the way out of the Bay Area after playing the Warriors. Mike Monroe wrote about it for the Express-News and quoted Matt Bonner — Mr. Sandwich had the right frame of mind (thanks to Tom Ziller of SB Nation for pointing this out).

“It was one of those carpe diem moments,” forward Matt Bonner said. “You know you shouldn’t be eating a grease-laced double burger with fried onions, fries and a milk shake, but once in a while, you’ve got to go for it. It was one of those things where no one will claim responsibility, but everybody enjoyed it.”

Well, not everybody.

“I was coming from lunch, so it was a bad idea,” (Ginobili) said. “Tiago (Splitter) and I ate lunch in San Francisco, but it was a team thing, so I ate a burger and had a shake.”

Stephen Jackson was ambivalent about the experience.

“It was good, but I don’t like In-N-Out like that,” he said. “Fatburger, Sonic, Five Guys, but not In-N-Out. But I ate one.”

Are you kidding me, Stephen? Sonic isn’t even in the same class. Fatburger is solid but a step below. I like Five Guys, but to me even all the way it still is just half a step back of In-n-Out.

For my money, only chain burger that is better in Los Angeles is the mini-chain Umami Burger. But that’s a nicer place, not a drive through. Next time he’s in Los Angeles a few of us need to take Jackson to Father’s Office for the only burger in town clearly better than In-n-Out. But for now, I’ve just lost a little respect for him and Manu.

1. mahhelo - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

No mention of Tommys – what’s going on. To me this is the essential west coast burger- with chili cheese fries- I cant be alone on this one.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

damn i forgot about tommys. good catch

• fearthehoody - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

when I was in College (6 years ago) I could throw down a tommys burger. Now its too much and I feel gross after. I might be getting old too fast!

2. boscoesworld - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Just like everything else in Cali. Just because it is a cali joint doesn’t make it the best. I’ve been all over the country and had burgers everywhere. In and Out is about 7th or 8th on the list folks. It’s the same syndrome as BBQ. Texas no Memphis, no KC no NC. They are all good. Go ahead and enjoy but don’t think they do it any better than anywhere else. In and Out for some reason is a cult.

3. davidly - Feb 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Dunno, dere, Koit – Ginobli’s comes from angus territory, so I imagine he has a decent perspective of the range of what involves American taste. Hint: We ain’ necessarily all that.

That said. Whataburger w/ jalepeno is slammin’ in my H.O.

4. m3phitic - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

In n out is not the best burger ever. But it may be the best burger for the price ever. Compare it to 5 guys or even McDonalds and the burger is better and about half the price. You can feed a family of 4 for about $15 and get pretty good food. That’s what makes it so good.

5. wgray981 - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

McDonalds still beats all fast food restaurants lol

6. raysfan1 - Feb 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Smashburger and Fuddruckers are better than both Inn-n-Out and 5 Guys, but I won’t turn my nose up at any of them.

7. fearthehoody - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM

A great local place is YAKKIS in Burbank off Alemeda. There are others but I believe that is the original. Small little shack by the studios, get the Yakko burger: Sesame seed bun, onions, thick meat patty with cheese, a grilled chicken breast on top of that, and they put a mix of terriakki and thousand island sauce in it! Amazing

8. Mr. Wright 212 - Feb 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I have never been to Texas or California. I will, this year. I am going to make it a point to eat at all of these places. They’ve all been hyped up all my 34 years.

9. BigBeachBall - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM

what’s going on here….

10. moseskkim - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

U gotta factor in price too. I like 5 guys but its like $13 for a meal? Double double meal is like $7. And fries are as fresh as can be. They chop them right in front of u.

11. beagle11 - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Shake Shack> In n out
    Its an NYC thing, you can keep your Socal stuff

12. mcqphx - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The Varsity in Atlanta destroys everything else.

13. bubbalynch - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Honestly Whataburger is awful compared to In-n-Out. It’s not even a competition!

14. badintent - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

JAP DOG !! BAR NONE

15. kavika6 - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM

This clown lost respect for Manu because he ate already but still had a burger? Do you choose all your basketball heroes depending on which burger chains they eat at?

16. jebdamone - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM

bang for your buck there is no comparison to in-n-out burger. it is the only fast food burger I will eat. sure there are other burgers in the world that are better, but within the category in-n-out has no peer.

17. jebdamone - Feb 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM

just for an added suggestion. I moved to minneapolis from CA a year and a half ago. you want an amazing burger, go to Matt’s bar on cedar avenue in mpls and get the juicy lucy. you are welcome.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

That’s the burger my homies that moved from Cali to Minny rave about.

18. mazblast - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’m certain that the Spurs’ season, indeed the entire existence of every player involved, is shattered by your disapproval.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches