Feb 25, 2013, 1:39 AM EST
The Oklahoma City Thunder had one of the best backup point guards in the game with Eric Maynor, but they were going to lose him after the season through free agency, so they traded him at the deadline.
But they wanted to add some depth, and apparently don’t fully trust Reggie Jackson yet in the backup role, so they are going to turn to an old friend.
Derek Fisher is about to re-sign with the team according to ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Thunder, after trading Eric Maynor away last week before the NBA’s annual trade deadline, have made plans to sign Fisher, who joined the Thunder for the stretch run in March 2012 after the Los Angeles Lakers dealt Fisher to Houston….
Fisher, who won five championships with the Los Angeles Lakers, was viewed as a key locker room presence by Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks as the Thunder made it all the way to the Finals, losing to the Miami Heat in five games.
Fisher played nine games at the start of this season with the Mavericks, but asked out of his contract after a knee injury. He rehabbed back at home in Los Angeles.
If you see a lot of Fisher on the court, it’s not a good thing. He knocked down a few shots but was a defensive liability for the Thunder last year — he averaged 6.3 points a game playing 22 minutes a night, with a PER of 10.4. Now he’s a year older and coming off a knee injury. But as a backup in the locker room he can work. He has been there.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)