Feb 25, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT
The Oklahoma City Thunder had one of the best backup point guards in the game with Eric Maynor, but they were going to lose him after the season through free agency, so they traded him at the deadline.
But they wanted to add some depth, and apparently don’t fully trust Reggie Jackson yet in the backup role, so they are going to turn to an old friend.
Derek Fisher is about to re-sign with the team according to ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Thunder, after trading Eric Maynor away last week before the NBA’s annual trade deadline, have made plans to sign Fisher, who joined the Thunder for the stretch run in March 2012 after the Los Angeles Lakers dealt Fisher to Houston….
Fisher, who won five championships with the Los Angeles Lakers, was viewed as a key locker room presence by Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks as the Thunder made it all the way to the Finals, losing to the Miami Heat in five games.
Fisher played nine games at the start of this season with the Mavericks, but asked out of his contract after a knee injury. He rehabbed back at home in Los Angeles.
If you see a lot of Fisher on the court, it’s not a good thing. He knocked down a few shots but was a defensive liability for the Thunder last year — he averaged 6.3 points a game playing 22 minutes a night, with a PER of 10.4. Now he’s a year older and coming off a knee injury. But as a backup in the locker room he can work. He has been there.
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 0
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 13
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29