Nowitzki says he wants to play a couple years past this contract

Feb 25, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT

Mavericks' Nowitzki reacts after officials did not call Lakers' World Peace for a foul during their NBA basketball game in Dallas, Texas Reuters

At age 34 and coming off knee surgery during training camp, Dirk Nowitzki has taken a step back this season. He’s averaging 16 points a game and is shooting 43.5 percent, both his lowest since his rookie season.

He’s got one more season on his contract after this one, so at age 36 will he want to come back to the grind of the NBA?

Yes, yes he would. That’s what he told the Dallas Morning News (thanks to our old friend Matt Moore at Eye on Basketball for finding this).

“I had some doubts here when I came back,” Nowitzki said. “It took so long. Is it ever going to come back? It was a tough stretch for me coming back from the surgery. But the way I feel now, I still think I can play a couple of years.

“I’ve got this year and next year under contract, so I’ll be 36 and for sure play a couple of more years.”

As long as Nowitzki wants to play in the league, the Mavs will have a roster spot for him. He likely will take the Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett pay cut to stay (Nowitzki makes $22.7 million next season) but a deal can be worked out.

Although it’s not as simple for Mark Cuban, who has the Mavericks with a lot of cap space the next couple years as he hunts for the next superstar to come to Dallas. Apparently someone to play alongside Nowitzki at first and eventually take over the mantle of the team.

Would Nowitzki really want to be a 40-year-old role player next to a younger star?

“Yeah, I mean, we’ll see how it goes,” he said. “Like I said, when my contract’s up, I’ll definitely sign a couple more years. It’s still fun, but I don’t know if I’ll play until 40. But [I’ll] definitely sign one more deal, maybe two or three years.

Okay, we’ll hold off on the plans for the gold watch and jersey retirement for a while.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches