Feb 25, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
At age 34 and coming off knee surgery during training camp, Dirk Nowitzki has taken a step back this season. He’s averaging 16 points a game and is shooting 43.5 percent, both his lowest since his rookie season.
He’s got one more season on his contract after this one, so at age 36 will he want to come back to the grind of the NBA?
“I had some doubts here when I came back,” Nowitzki said. “It took so long. Is it ever going to come back? It was a tough stretch for me coming back from the surgery. But the way I feel now, I still think I can play a couple of years.
“I’ve got this year and next year under contract, so I’ll be 36 and for sure play a couple of more years.”
As long as Nowitzki wants to play in the league, the Mavs will have a roster spot for him. He likely will take the Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett pay cut to stay (Nowitzki makes $22.7 million next season) but a deal can be worked out.
Although it’s not as simple for Mark Cuban, who has the Mavericks with a lot of cap space the next couple years as he hunts for the next superstar to come to Dallas. Apparently someone to play alongside Nowitzki at first and eventually take over the mantle of the team.
Would Nowitzki really want to be a 40-year-old role player next to a younger star?
“Yeah, I mean, we’ll see how it goes,” he said. “Like I said, when my contract’s up, I’ll definitely sign a couple more years. It’s still fun, but I don’t know if I’ll play until 40. But [I’ll] definitely sign one more deal, maybe two or three years.
Okay, we’ll hold off on the plans for the gold watch and jersey retirement for a while.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37