Feb 25, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Kevin Love has played in just 18 games for Minnesota this season. There were playoff hopes for the Timberwolves with Love coming off a gold medal summer with Team USA, but he broke his hand doing knuckle pushups in the preseason.
He returned earlier than expected, struggled then started to get a groove before breaking his hand again in the same place on a fluke play in a game. That meant surgery to his hand and a whole lot more games missed. Throw in Ricky Rubio missing half the season recovering from an ACL injury (he’s just starting to look like his old self) and it’s been a rough season.
Now Love says he wants to return for some games this season. From the Associated Press.
Love said he plans to meet with doctors for another examination on his surgically repaired hand toward the end of the first week in March or the beginning of the second week. He’s hoping to return with 15-20 games remaining in the season to try and put a positive end to a most disappointing year….
“After surgery, it feels just different. Better,” Love said. “It feels like my hand again.”
Playing in 20 games would mean a March 15 return, so Love is looking at the second half of that month.
It’s too late to salvage Minnesota’s season, the playoff dreams have long been dead. But maybe we can see some of what we hoped — last season the Timberwolves were arguably the most fun team to watch in the NBA. Maybe a few steps with everyone on the team together this season will give them a running start for next season.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 22
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 24
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8