Feb 25, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
As we move into the final quarter of the season, we’re going to see the experienced coaches with veteran teams — Gregg Popovich, for example — rest some players. After what David Stern did to the Spurs earlier this season we may have a lot of guys “injured” for a night, but the idea will be rest.
Doc Rivers is thinking that in Boston. His team is going to be the road team all playoffs and have a real uphill battle without Rajon Rondo.
So he’s looking at rest over better seeds for his players, he told ESPNBoston.com.
“Listen we’re not going to be a 1 seed, we know that, so we just want to be a seed,” Rivers said before Friday’s game in Phoenix… “The neat thing is that we are very close to the fifth seed… But [the focus is] going to be health now for sure for us.”
Boston has 18 of its last 30 on the road, so rest is going to matter. Hopefully the league will let the coaches coach their teams and not try to dictate who plays when as the season winds down.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay