Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
The Nets will look to bounce back from their loss to the Rockets on Friday when they host the Grizzlies tonight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
For the second straight game, however, they’ll be playing without starting shooting guard Joe Johnson:
Joe Johnson (heel) is out tonight vs Memphis.—
Howard Beck (@HowardBeckNYT) February 24, 2013
Johnson missed the Rockets game with plantar fasciitis and this issue and it seems his foot is still bothering him enough to keep him sidelined.
Without Johnson, look for the Nets to start C.J. Watson who slid into the lineup against the Rockets and scored 17 points with 5 assists. Watson is a fine combo guard and his ability to handle the ball and hit outside shots could allow Deron Williams to play a little bit more off the ball and be more of a scorer against the Grizzlies.
From Memphis’ side, no Johnson means they can get more creative on defense and deploy Tony Allen in a variety of ways to try and disrupt the Nets’ offense. Allen’s defensive versatility means he can be an on the ball terror to Deron Williams or work more off the ball to disrupt what the Nets want to do with Watson or Gerald Wallace.
Even though this isn’t Johnson’s finest year — he’s averaging 17.0 points on 42.3% shooting — he’ll surely be missed against the rugged Grizzlies who have won 6 in a row and are surging in the West.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29