Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
The Nets will look to bounce back from their loss to the Rockets on Friday when they host the Grizzlies tonight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
For the second straight game, however, they’ll be playing without starting shooting guard Joe Johnson:
Johnson missed the Rockets game with plantar fasciitis and this issue and it seems his foot is still bothering him enough to keep him sidelined.
Without Johnson, look for the Nets to start C.J. Watson who slid into the lineup against the Rockets and scored 17 points with 5 assists. Watson is a fine combo guard and his ability to handle the ball and hit outside shots could allow Deron Williams to play a little bit more off the ball and be more of a scorer against the Grizzlies.
From Memphis’ side, no Johnson means they can get more creative on defense and deploy Tony Allen in a variety of ways to try and disrupt the Nets’ offense. Allen’s defensive versatility means he can be an on the ball terror to Deron Williams or work more off the ball to disrupt what the Nets want to do with Watson or Gerald Wallace.
Even though this isn’t Johnson’s finest year — he’s averaging 17.0 points on 42.3% shooting — he’ll surely be missed against the rugged Grizzlies who have won 6 in a row and are surging in the West.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 24
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 11
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 5
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0