Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
The Nets will look to bounce back from their loss to the Rockets on Friday when they host the Grizzlies tonight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
For the second straight game, however, they’ll be playing without starting shooting guard Joe Johnson:
Joe Johnson (heel) is out tonight vs Memphis.—
Howard Beck (@HowardBeckNYT) February 24, 2013
Johnson missed the Rockets game with plantar fasciitis and this issue and it seems his foot is still bothering him enough to keep him sidelined.
Without Johnson, look for the Nets to start C.J. Watson who slid into the lineup against the Rockets and scored 17 points with 5 assists. Watson is a fine combo guard and his ability to handle the ball and hit outside shots could allow Deron Williams to play a little bit more off the ball and be more of a scorer against the Grizzlies.
From Memphis’ side, no Johnson means they can get more creative on defense and deploy Tony Allen in a variety of ways to try and disrupt the Nets’ offense. Allen’s defensive versatility means he can be an on the ball terror to Deron Williams or work more off the ball to disrupt what the Nets want to do with Watson or Gerald Wallace.
Even though this isn’t Johnson’s finest year — he’s averaging 17.0 points on 42.3% shooting — he’ll surely be missed against the rugged Grizzlies who have won 6 in a row and are surging in the West.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 30
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23