Feb 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Lakers pulled out a close win over the Blazers on Friday, behind a stellar 40-point offensive performance from Kobe Bryant.
Bryant hasn’t been scoring like this lately, preferring instead to involve his teammates more in the offense by passing up shots in favor of getting them some better and more consistent looks. But when they struggle to score, as Steve Nash did in this one, Bryant is forced to take matters into his own hands.
Nash is one of the game’s historically high-percentage shooters, but had one of his worst games in recent memory in terms of making shots. He finished 2-11 from the field, and missed his only attempts from the free throw line and three-point arc by leaving both shots uncharacteristically short.
As it turns out, there was a reason for Nash’s struggles.
“I tweaked my back in the first quarter and it kept locking up,” said Nash. “It was tight the whole game and I couldn’t get the mobility.”
“I didn’t have enough time to get it sorted out and it just tightened up as it [went on],” said Nash of his back. “Hopefully, since we don’t play tomorrow, it should be fine by Sunday.”
The last thing the Lakers need is more injury concerns this season, and should Nash go down for any extended period of time, the team would find itself in even more trouble than it already is in trying to secure a spot to play in the postseason.
Despite Nash’s shooting woes, he was stil able to push the tempo and create a few things for his teammates during his 34 minutes of on-court action. He knows what it takes to get his body right, and works as hard on the conditioning aspect of his game as any player in the league, so hopefully for the Lakers this won’t become a lingering issue to finish out the season.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17