Feb 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The Lakers pulled out a close win over the Blazers on Friday, behind a stellar 40-point offensive performance from Kobe Bryant.
Bryant hasn’t been scoring like this lately, preferring instead to involve his teammates more in the offense by passing up shots in favor of getting them some better and more consistent looks. But when they struggle to score, as Steve Nash did in this one, Bryant is forced to take matters into his own hands.
Nash is one of the game’s historically high-percentage shooters, but had one of his worst games in recent memory in terms of making shots. He finished 2-11 from the field, and missed his only attempts from the free throw line and three-point arc by leaving both shots uncharacteristically short.
As it turns out, there was a reason for Nash’s struggles.
“I tweaked my back in the first quarter and it kept locking up,” said Nash. “It was tight the whole game and I couldn’t get the mobility.”
“I didn’t have enough time to get it sorted out and it just tightened up as it [went on],” said Nash of his back. “Hopefully, since we don’t play tomorrow, it should be fine by Sunday.”
The last thing the Lakers need is more injury concerns this season, and should Nash go down for any extended period of time, the team would find itself in even more trouble than it already is in trying to secure a spot to play in the postseason.
Despite Nash’s shooting woes, he was stil able to push the tempo and create a few things for his teammates during his 34 minutes of on-court action. He knows what it takes to get his body right, and works as hard on the conditioning aspect of his game as any player in the league, so hopefully for the Lakers this won’t become a lingering issue to finish out the season.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 21
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 11
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 3
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)