Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
“He gave me everything I wanted. I wanted one extension – he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension – he traded me.”
-Shaquille O’Neal, speaking at a memorial service for Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who passed this week.
Shaq’s relationship with Jerry Buss had its ups and downs — people still recall Shaq wanting that last extension and yelling “pay me” at Buss during a preseason game in Hawaii — but through it all Shaq had respect for Buss. Which all the players did because Buss put them first, he gave them all the perks and amenities he could. All he wanted in return was efforts and wins.
RIP Dr. Buss.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 22
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9