Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
“He gave me everything I wanted. I wanted one extension – he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension – he traded me.”
-Shaquille O’Neal, speaking at a memorial service for Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who passed this week.
Shaq’s relationship with Jerry Buss had its ups and downs — people still recall Shaq wanting that last extension and yelling “pay me” at Buss during a preseason game in Hawaii — but through it all Shaq had respect for Buss. Which all the players did because Buss put them first, he gave them all the perks and amenities he could. All he wanted in return was efforts and wins.
RIP Dr. Buss.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20