Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
“He gave me everything I wanted. I wanted one extension – he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension – he traded me.”
-Shaquille O’Neal, speaking at a memorial service for Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who passed this week.
Shaq’s relationship with Jerry Buss had its ups and downs — people still recall Shaq wanting that last extension and yelling “pay me” at Buss during a preseason game in Hawaii — but through it all Shaq had respect for Buss. Which all the players did because Buss put them first, he gave them all the perks and amenities he could. All he wanted in return was efforts and wins.
RIP Dr. Buss.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30