Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
“He gave me everything I wanted. I wanted one extension – he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension – he traded me.”
-Shaquille O’Neal, speaking at a memorial service for Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who passed this week.
Shaq’s relationship with Jerry Buss had its ups and downs — people still recall Shaq wanting that last extension and yelling “pay me” at Buss during a preseason game in Hawaii — but through it all Shaq had respect for Buss. Which all the players did because Buss put them first, he gave them all the perks and amenities he could. All he wanted in return was efforts and wins.
RIP Dr. Buss.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16