Quote of the Day: Shaq on his relationship with Jerry Buss

Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal AP

“He gave me everything I wanted. I wanted one extension – he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension – he traded me.”

-Shaquille O’Neal, speaking at a memorial service for Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who passed this week.

Shaq’s relationship with Jerry Buss had its ups and downs — people still recall Shaq wanting that last extension and yelling “pay me” at Buss during a preseason game in Hawaii — but through it all Shaq had respect for Buss. Which all the players did because Buss put them first, he gave them all the perks and amenities he could. All he wanted in return was efforts and wins.

RIP Dr. Buss.

1. ultichiva - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

” I get hurt on company time. … ”
    You know the rest

2. camnellum12 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

The Lakers’ owner said in May 2005 that Shaq got in shape only because he was motivated by his trade to Miami. “I didn’t need motivation,” Shaq fired back. “I needed a real owner, not a guy that parties with girls three times (younger) than him. When you’re 60, hang out with 60-year-olds, not 20-year-olds. You can quote me on that. I’ve got nothing else to say about Jerry Buss.”

Yeah, this is why I hate how people romanticize over others when they’re dead….

• fanofevilempire - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I think Kurt left a curse word out of the ” pay me” incident and I believe Buss didn’t
      like Shaq cursing at him so he said adios El Diesel.

Yeah, you can’t really walk around a funeral saying camnellum12 was a real son of a gun. you know what I mean.

3. badintent - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Memo to Shaq ” 60 year old guys with fat wallets hang with gold diggers or strippers. Go to Seeking arrangements.com
    P.S. Riley is also on record saying that he got fed up with Shaq failing to stay in shape and practice hard.

4. manchestermiracle - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM

What Shaq actually shouted on the court after dunking the ball was “Now you gonna pay me?” Calling out your employer in public is a sure-fired way to get fired.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches