Feb 22, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
This isn’t really a surprise, when the Bucks traded for J.J. Redick without sending one of their star guards out in a deal, you had to figure Redick’s role was about to be very different than what he had in Orlando.
Redick is going to come off the bench for the bucks.
“I think if guys are willing to accept the process, there’s no reason it can’t happen,” (Bucks GM John) Hammond said Friday. “It really comes down to this: Do guys want to win? If you want to win, people will make sacrifices. The sacrifices could be a few minutes a game.”
Hammond talked about the goal to be like the three guard rotation of the championship Bad Boy Pistons — Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinny Johnson.
“(Dumars) said Isiah and I both realized that when Vinnie came into the game and hit his first few shots that they would be set for a while. It made them a better team and even propelled them to a championship.”
This Bucks backcourt is not going to be as good as that legendary group, but it could be good if everyone buys in, shares time and shares the ball. But will they? Jennings and Ellis tend to shoot first, will they share the rock? Will they put egos aside and let the two guys knocking the shots down that night play and not mope on the bench? They can’t play that three guard lineup long, it is too small and would get killed defensively, but it can for a stint.
Hammond talks a good game, we’ll see if his players can live up to it.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 49
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 46
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7