Feb 22, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
This isn’t really a surprise, when the Bucks traded for J.J. Redick without sending one of their star guards out in a deal, you had to figure Redick’s role was about to be very different than what he had in Orlando.
Redick is going to come off the bench for the bucks.
“I think if guys are willing to accept the process, there’s no reason it can’t happen,” (Bucks GM John) Hammond said Friday. “It really comes down to this: Do guys want to win? If you want to win, people will make sacrifices. The sacrifices could be a few minutes a game.”
Hammond talked about the goal to be like the three guard rotation of the championship Bad Boy Pistons — Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinny Johnson.
“(Dumars) said Isiah and I both realized that when Vinnie came into the game and hit his first few shots that they would be set for a while. It made them a better team and even propelled them to a championship.”
This Bucks backcourt is not going to be as good as that legendary group, but it could be good if everyone buys in, shares time and shares the ball. But will they? Jennings and Ellis tend to shoot first, will they share the rock? Will they put egos aside and let the two guys knocking the shots down that night play and not mope on the bench? They can’t play that three guard lineup long, it is too small and would get killed defensively, but it can for a stint.
Hammond talks a good game, we’ll see if his players can live up to it.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?