Feb 22, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
This isn’t really a surprise, when the Bucks traded for J.J. Redick without sending one of their star guards out in a deal, you had to figure Redick’s role was about to be very different than what he had in Orlando.
Redick is going to come off the bench for the bucks.
“I think if guys are willing to accept the process, there’s no reason it can’t happen,” (Bucks GM John) Hammond said Friday. “It really comes down to this: Do guys want to win? If you want to win, people will make sacrifices. The sacrifices could be a few minutes a game.”
Hammond talked about the goal to be like the three guard rotation of the championship Bad Boy Pistons — Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinny Johnson.
“(Dumars) said Isiah and I both realized that when Vinnie came into the game and hit his first few shots that they would be set for a while. It made them a better team and even propelled them to a championship.”
This Bucks backcourt is not going to be as good as that legendary group, but it could be good if everyone buys in, shares time and shares the ball. But will they? Jennings and Ellis tend to shoot first, will they share the rock? Will they put egos aside and let the two guys knocking the shots down that night play and not mope on the bench? They can’t play that three guard lineup long, it is too small and would get killed defensively, but it can for a stint.
Hammond talks a good game, we’ll see if his players can live up to it.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 3
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38