Feb 22, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
This isn’t really a surprise, when the Bucks traded for J.J. Redick without sending one of their star guards out in a deal, you had to figure Redick’s role was about to be very different than what he had in Orlando.
Redick is going to come off the bench for the bucks.
“I think if guys are willing to accept the process, there’s no reason it can’t happen,” (Bucks GM John) Hammond said Friday. “It really comes down to this: Do guys want to win? If you want to win, people will make sacrifices. The sacrifices could be a few minutes a game.”
Hammond talked about the goal to be like the three guard rotation of the championship Bad Boy Pistons — Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinny Johnson.
“(Dumars) said Isiah and I both realized that when Vinnie came into the game and hit his first few shots that they would be set for a while. It made them a better team and even propelled them to a championship.”
This Bucks backcourt is not going to be as good as that legendary group, but it could be good if everyone buys in, shares time and shares the ball. But will they? Jennings and Ellis tend to shoot first, will they share the rock? Will they put egos aside and let the two guys knocking the shots down that night play and not mope on the bench? They can’t play that three guard lineup long, it is too small and would get killed defensively, but it can for a stint.
Hammond talks a good game, we’ll see if his players can live up to it.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 7
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6