Feb 22, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
This isn’t really a surprise, when the Bucks traded for J.J. Redick without sending one of their star guards out in a deal, you had to figure Redick’s role was about to be very different than what he had in Orlando.
Redick is going to come off the bench for the bucks.
“I think if guys are willing to accept the process, there’s no reason it can’t happen,” (Bucks GM John) Hammond said Friday. “It really comes down to this: Do guys want to win? If you want to win, people will make sacrifices. The sacrifices could be a few minutes a game.”
Hammond talked about the goal to be like the three guard rotation of the championship Bad Boy Pistons — Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinny Johnson.
“(Dumars) said Isiah and I both realized that when Vinnie came into the game and hit his first few shots that they would be set for a while. It made them a better team and even propelled them to a championship.”
This Bucks backcourt is not going to be as good as that legendary group, but it could be good if everyone buys in, shares time and shares the ball. But will they? Jennings and Ellis tend to shoot first, will they share the rock? Will they put egos aside and let the two guys knocking the shots down that night play and not mope on the bench? They can’t play that three guard lineup long, it is too small and would get killed defensively, but it can for a stint.
Hammond talks a good game, we’ll see if his players can live up to it.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15