Feb 22, 2013, 11:43 AM EST
There’s a lot of frustration with the Knicks right now — they are 1-4 in their last five, the most recent loss an ugly loss at the hands of the Pacers. In those five games the Knicks have surrendered 112.9 points per 100 possession — 9.5 worse than their season average and second worst in the NBA in that stretch. It’s been ugly
All that frustrated bubbled over with stupid plays against the Pacers — J.R. Smith was the leading offender almost getting into a fight with Lance Stephenson then getting ejected in the second half. But he was joined by Raymond Felton (technical for throwing an elbow), Amare Stoudemire (technical for arguing with officials), Tyson Chandler (argued with officials but didn’t get technical) and so on.
Mike Woodson is frustrated, reports the New York Post.
Asked if he had spoken to Smith about his behavior, an angry Woodson said: “I’m not happy about how we played and how we carried ourselves professionally on the basketball court. We can’t do that. I’m not going to tolerate that. I’m just not.’’
Carmelo Anthony was not as direct but he wasn’t thrilled.
“I’ve seen guys today, guys were angry,’’ Anthony said. “Not angry but kind of upset. As a team we let ourselves down. It was kind of an embarrassment.’’
Now is when the serious contenders start to crank it up. Look at the Heat, winners of nine in a row. Look at how the Spurs dismantled the Clippers Thursday night and are 6-1 on their rodeo road trip.
The Knicks fancy themselves contenders but they need to get back to playing defense somewhere near the level they did last year — on the season they are 15th in the NBA in points allowed per possession and in their last 10 games they are bottom 10 in the league. That will not get it done. Even if their offense is clicking their defense needs to be top 10 to have a chance past the first round of the playoffs.
There’s time to fix it. And being professional is a good first step.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)