Feb 22, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
There’s a lot of frustration with the Knicks right now — they are 1-4 in their last five, the most recent loss an ugly loss at the hands of the Pacers. In those five games the Knicks have surrendered 112.9 points per 100 possession — 9.5 worse than their season average and second worst in the NBA in that stretch. It’s been ugly
All that frustrated bubbled over with stupid plays against the Pacers — J.R. Smith was the leading offender almost getting into a fight with Lance Stephenson then getting ejected in the second half. But he was joined by Raymond Felton (technical for throwing an elbow), Amare Stoudemire (technical for arguing with officials), Tyson Chandler (argued with officials but didn’t get technical) and so on.
Mike Woodson is frustrated, reports the New York Post.
Asked if he had spoken to Smith about his behavior, an angry Woodson said: “I’m not happy about how we played and how we carried ourselves professionally on the basketball court. We can’t do that. I’m not going to tolerate that. I’m just not.’’
Carmelo Anthony was not as direct but he wasn’t thrilled.
“I’ve seen guys today, guys were angry,’’ Anthony said. “Not angry but kind of upset. As a team we let ourselves down. It was kind of an embarrassment.’’
Now is when the serious contenders start to crank it up. Look at the Heat, winners of nine in a row. Look at how the Spurs dismantled the Clippers Thursday night and are 6-1 on their rodeo road trip.
The Knicks fancy themselves contenders but they need to get back to playing defense somewhere near the level they did last year — on the season they are 15th in the NBA in points allowed per possession and in their last 10 games they are bottom 10 in the league. That will not get it done. Even if their offense is clicking their defense needs to be top 10 to have a chance past the first round of the playoffs.
There’s time to fix it. And being professional is a good first step.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37