Feb 22, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
The Nets could certainly use Joe Johnson Friday night against a Rockets team that can put up points.
But he is not going to play, Nets GM Billy King made the announcement on ESPN Radio in New York Friday (as tweeted by Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News). Deron Williams got shots in his sore ankles but is expected to play through the pain.
Johnson will not, he will sit. The reason is his plantar fasciitis — pain in the membrane that runs along the bottom of the foot — flared up after Wednesday’s game. The best cure for this is rest so the Nets are giving their second leading scorer time to get right. At this point the Nets need to make sure he is right for the playoffs, so they should be resting him as much as they need to (and manage his minutes the rest of the way).
But if you wonder how much they will miss him, watch the end of their recent win over the Bucks. No word on now many games he might miss.
It’s interesting that Bondy notes reporters were told at shootaround nothing was wrong and Johnson would play, only to have the GM say something different on a radio interview. Not exactly a classy move, Nets.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games