Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
Everyone knew J.J. Redick was going to be traded. That included J.J. Redick.
But he said he was still surprised when he got the call saying he was on his was from Orlando — the only NBA team he’s known — to Milwaukee. Redick spoke to the Orlando Sentinel after the trade went down.
“I think you can prepare yourself as much as you think you can,” Redick told the Orlando Sentinel in a phone interview after he received the news. “But when the moment comes, there’s certainly an initial shock, and I was shocked. The most difficult part was definitely saying bye to everybody, people that I’ve spent a lot of time with over the last seven years and built relationships with and built friendships with. That was difficult.
“There’s no really easy way to handle it,” he added later. “Trading is tough, tough. It’s my first time experiencing it: It’s tough.”
It’s going to be a different world in Milwaukee. Redick makes sense next to Brandon Jennings, a quick point guard who can get into the lane but is an inconsistent outside shooter. At best.
But throw Monta Ellis in the mix and it gets strange. Do the Bucks plan to bring Redick off the bench? Are they going to play three small guards at once? The entire thing seems a strange fit.
But one Redick only has to endure the rest of this season, then he becomes a free agent. He will be courted by a lot of teams, including the Bucks who likely want to keep him and Jennings (a restricted free agent).
Redick wisely deflected the question about the future.
“I think with them bringing me in I assume they want to get into the playoffs, make a playoff run and try to get as high a seed as possible,” he said. “Hopefully, I can help them do that and we’ll deal with the summer when the summer happens.”
It’s going to be an interesting summer in Milwaukee.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9