J.J. Redick still shocked by trade despite it all

Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Bobcats Magic Basketball AP

Everyone knew J.J. Redick was going to be traded. That included J.J. Redick.

But he said he was still surprised when he got the call saying he was on his was from Orlando — the only NBA team he’s known — to Milwaukee. Redick spoke to the Orlando Sentinel after the trade went down.

“I think you can prepare yourself as much as you think you can,” Redick told the Orlando Sentinel in a phone interview after he received the news. “But when the moment comes, there’s certainly an initial shock, and I was shocked. The most difficult part was definitely saying bye to everybody, people that I’ve spent a lot of time with over the last seven years and built relationships with and built friendships with. That was difficult.

“There’s no really easy way to handle it,” he added later. “Trading is tough, tough. It’s my first time experiencing it: It’s tough.”

It’s going to be a different world in Milwaukee. Redick makes sense next to Brandon Jennings, a quick point guard who can get into the lane but is an inconsistent outside shooter. At best.

But throw Monta Ellis in the mix and it gets strange. Do the Bucks plan to bring Redick off the bench? Are they going to play three small guards at once? The entire thing seems a strange fit.

But one Redick only has to endure the rest of this season, then he becomes a free agent. He will be courted by a lot of teams, including the Bucks who likely want to keep him and Jennings (a restricted free agent).

Redick wisely deflected the question about the future.

“I think with them bringing me in I assume they want to get into the playoffs, make a playoff run and try to get as high a seed as possible,” he said. “Hopefully, I can help them do that and we’ll deal with the summer when the summer happens.”

It’s going to be an interesting summer in Milwaukee.

1. gorilla1221 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Maybe sorry he didnt go to a contender

2. themagicfanguy - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Good luck JJ!

3. whitdog23 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM

sounds like he views himself as a rented player….not part of a team. that’s sad as on part

4. 00maltliquor - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

ORL shoulda kept him and tried to re-sign him in the offseason.

I got $ says he doesn’t re-sign in MIL.

5. themagicfanguy - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

@malt Why should they have kept him? We’re terrible with him right now, and he’ll probably be around 33 by the time we’re good again. It doesn’t seem like ORL would be willing to pay what he wants, even though he’s very popular in the region. Better to trade him and get two prospects plus a backup PG than to let him walk for nothing in free agency, I think.

6. raidmagic - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Yep bummer, he will be missed in Orlando. Best of luck to him in the future. I’ll follow his career still, big fan of his

7. zerole00 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I’d be pretty bummed out if I had to move to Milwaukee too. Best of luck, Redick.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches