Greg Oden has worked out a couple times for Cavaliers

Feb 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT

ODEN_GREG

More and more it looks like the Cleveland Cavaliers will sign Greg Oden to a contract this summer and see if he can make a comeback next fall.

There’s a ways to go here, and with Oden’s history of knee issues — he’s 24 and had three microfracture surgeries — there’s a lot that could change, but things seem to be pointing that way. Oden will sign when he’s ready this summer, but it appears the Cavaliers have at least gotten a look at what he can do so far. So tweets Bob Finnan of the News-Herald.

He’s had a long history of problems, but if he can bounce back to the point of just giving a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality big man play that would be good for the team and huge for him.

I want this to work out. I want to say I’m optimistic that it will, but I’ll just say I want this to work out.

1. money2long - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

gotta root for comeback stories

2. j0esixpack - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I know its a long shot but it’d be great to see Cleveland hit the jackpot with Greg “Benjamin Button” Oden.

And it’d be even better to see the Cavs make LeBron pay for leaving them high and dry.

Not gonna happen but it sure would make a great Lifetime movie.

3. kb2408 - Feb 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I can’t believe he’s only 24! It has nothing to do with his appearance either. It just seems like he left OSU ten years ago.

4. kb2408 - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I’m pulling for the dude. I have no doubt he would’ve been a franchise center had he stayed healthy. Instead of asking if Bynum or Howard is the best center in the league, the question would be who’s second best behind Oden.

5. armandnyc - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I hope he can comeback, damn shame if he can’t

6. yousuxxors - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

i dont see it happening but i hope it does. it really sucks seeing great players amount to nothing because of injuries. he should get that stem cell treatment, see if it works with rehab. surprised professional sports hasnt invested nore in its research.

7. pmangarola - Feb 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Good young team with Oden, Thompson, Irving and waiters

8. ravissevens - Feb 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM

I’ve picked him up and never had an injury issue on 2k.. Games and real life aren’t that much different yeah?!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches