Feb 22, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
The reason? Rest.
Rivers has been hinting that he’d like to rest Garnett in upcoming games and, after Garnett looked gassed at times against the Lakers on Wednesday, he realized he may have waited too long.
“I was telling our coaches after the Denver game, it’s sacrilegious not to play KG against the Lakers, but it was a thought,” said Rivers. “And watching him play, you’re sitting there kicking yourself thinking, ‘That should have been the night for him,’ because it was a back-to-back. It is what it is.”
“He was fine with it, which told me that it was the right thing,” said Rivers. “He didn’t put up a fight at all, that tells you we were probably a game or two too late. We should have done it a game earlier.”
Boston is in the middle of a West Coast road trip that will see the team play five games in seven days. The Celtics have dropped the first two games of it, losing back to back game to the Nuggets and the Lakers to begin the second half of the season.
Rivers went on to say that he would sit Garnett a few more times before the end of the regular season, and may do the same with some of his other players if he sees that they could use the rest.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona